Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that quote exactly the opposite. I think he'll be a major option on the attacking right once Gundogan returns with a burner like Sterling/Sane on the other side. In a lot of ways I think it may be Nolito whom KDB ends up competing with positionally. I'm sure we'll occasionally go with a Sterling + Sane duo with pure pace and dribbling but when you see some of the positions we've gotten Sterling and Nolito in already and think about KDB in some of them you start to wonder how many more goals we might create.

Stuart Brennan ‏@StuBrennanMEN 40m40 minutes ago
Pep on KDB: "He is a great player. Sometimes he will play inside, but I prefer him to play outside."

expect him to lose his place once Gundogan is fit and ready. Pep prefers Wide players with pace and skills. it's just my opinion.

I'm not sure De Bruyne will necessarily lose his place. It seemed clear that Pep saying he prefers KDB to be outside that he doesn't see his best position as one of the "Free number 8s" but it doesn't mean he will drop him from the team altogether.

Silva is technically more suited to that number 8 position than De Bruyne, anyone who's seen more than half a dozen games of them both over the years could spot that. Silva retains possession better, demands the ball more, dictates play. De Bruyne has played his best football in counter-attacking teams, exploiting space and breaking on teams early.

After watching the first 3 games Silva has clearly adapted to the role better. Perhaps he is more match fit, but I also think the technical qualities of each player make Silva far more suited to the role than De Bruyne.

Guardiola's comments today lend themselves to the thought that De Bruyne is likely to be used as one of the wide players / wingers more, so it would make logical sense to assume Guadiola sees Silva and Gundogan as his two number 8s dictating play and running the game.

KDB can use his directness, eye for an early pass and goal from a wide position. And of course when needed, De Bruyne can still fill in and do a job in a central area.

Kevin is on record saying he hates playing out wide though. I reckon this is a tactic from Pep to get him to raise his level but on and off the ball.

you take playing in net for this team pep is building its going places and quick so KDB will be happy just to see his name on the team sheet never mind being asked to play on the wings

Something does seem to be a little off with him at the moment though. There's too many people pointing it out for it not to have some merit. I don't buy into the notion of him having low tactical intelligence at all. The guy can and actually does play in every attacking position. Just my read here and nothing else but I think he's a deep thinker than can be prone to information overload and he's a little rattled at the moment. He's mentioned that the spacing and the tactics are causing him some confusion. Can you really fault him? Every week he's playing a different position for club and country. Is he a LW, RW, 10, or an 8? Fairly certain he even played at least one or two games as a 9? Nobody knows where he plays. Find out next week! Versatility is fantastic but there is that whole diminishing returns thing...

Was amusing reading in the Kroos thread how we should get him because we need someone who can deliver a great set piece. Think we've probably got one of the best in Europe already!

Real shame he couldn't bury that chance he put wide yesterday, but great delivery again for the second.

You can still see that he is only just settling into the new style of pla,but I thought he played well enough yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.