Kevin De Bruyne 2016/17

Don't you think that defenses are forced to sit deeper with the pace of Navas and Sterling in the side? I don't have the answer to this debate but I think there is certainly some mileage in it. I guess time will tell.
Yes, they did the first 2 games, but quickly realized that was actually playing into City's hand. It's counterintuitive, but to stop City's threat, you have to attack our weaknesses, not cower at our strengths. Best to disrupt the distribution from the source, rather than seat back and hope we don't get through. We often do when teams do that.

I mean how often have teams gone ahead against us and gone into a shell? Only for us to come back and get a goal from relentless pressure?

Are teams scared of Navas's speed? Absolutely, but its easier to deal with Navas' s speed if you don't let him get a good through pass.

When you talk about creating and actually scoring goals KDB is by far the best.

Don't you think that defenses are forced to sit deeper with the pace of Navas and Sterling in the side? I don't have the answer to this debate but I think there is certainly some mileage in it. I guess time will tell.

Completely agree with this. I think you're missing the logic here @Dax777

It's not fluke that teams sat back against us when we started with Sterling and Navas, it's common sense. Two of the fastest players in the league, it would be defensive suicide to try and push up and leave space behind playing against these two. There isn't a full back in the league that will get anywhere near Navas or Sterling in a foot race.

It's precisely because of their pace that defences sit deeper against us when they both start.

If your argument is that teams will now push right up on us, get in our faces, and try to close us down higher up the pitch, that will suit us down to the ground! Having Aguero, Navas and Sterling ready to run in behind teams on the half way line is an absolutely delightful prospect!

Completely agree with this. I think you're missing the logic here @Dax777

It's not fluke that teams sat back against us when we started with Sterling and Navas, it's common sense. Two of the fastest players in the league, it would be defensive suicide to try and push up and leave space behind playing against these two. There isn't a full back in the league that will get anywhere near Navas or Sterling in a foot race.

It's precisely because of their pace that defences sit deeper against us when they both start.

If your argument is that teams will now push right up on us, get in our faces, and try to close us down higher up the pitch, that will suit us down to the ground! Having Aguero, Navas and Sterling ready to run in behind teams on the half way line is an absolutely delightful prospect!
Shael, watch West Brom first half and 2nd half to see the difference their change in approach had on our game. Watch Liverpool. Watch West Ham home.

We've had 4 other games where Sterling and Navas started wide outside of the 1st 4 games. But its effectiveness always depended on whether the other team pressured us from the top or not. Sure Silva's ball control wasn't available to help.But the difference always vwaa where the opposition chose to challenge us. In their half or ours.

Teams who choose our half have caused us headaches. Regardless of our formation or personnel.

Last edited:
Almost nothing I've seen of Silva and De Bruyne on the pitch at the same time amounted to an extra 'X factor' giving us an advantage. On the contrary its looked consistently bobbins. People talk as if Sterling and Navas aren't x-factors themselves. Certainly makes opposition fullbacks think twice about joining the attack pressurising all of our error prone defenders.
The problem is both players have been played out of position and had to switch too often. De Bruyne, Silva both AMC with Fernandinho behind them (like last 20 min against Everton) would do the job against all sided that are weaker than City. Then you can still put Navas & Sterling out wide for pace & width.

He helps because he is another X factor teams have to deal with. Aguero, Silva and now DeBryune. At some point, no matter your game plan, too much talent can over come it. Now we have reduced that chance of overcoming by a third.

Sure, never suggested otherwise.

i'd say, based on current evidence, de bruyne probably wont command a place in the first XI for about 10 weeks :)

I think the next 10 weeks or so will be telling on how having him changes the way we play and how teams play against us... Will also show whether the fact that we have a 41% win rate when Kev has started compared to a 100% win rate when he hasn't is purely coincidental or if he does indeed upset the balance in the current team/way we play.

I think the theory that we played bad because of de bruyne and silva on the pitch has been disproved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.