Kompany "allegedly" out for 3-4 weeks (merged)

Lescott is dependable when he is alongside Kompany but for me he doesn't look half the player alongside any of our other centre halves.

Perhaps that has something to do with him not having the confidence of stepping up as the main centre half.

I think we need to go and sign a top draw centre half now, I was pretty sure we needed one before Vinny got injured but now its imperative.

Like someone said previously, the last thing we should do is sign someone to make the numbers eg Garcia Sinclair

I don't think Boyata is good enough tbh, and probably needs to go on loan to a mid-table prem team where he will get games each week. We can then decide whether he'll be able to step up in the future
I like J-Lo as a defender but his distribution isn't and never will be good enough
Nasty, as I think we all agree is the long-term partner for VK, so to go and buy a 'top-drawer' CB may hinder his progress
I think J-Lo and Nasty will play on Sunday, with Garcia coming on after 70 mins for Nasty. Next week we will have Micah back too, and there is always the option to drop Yaya into CB and play Rodders next to Ferna in the DM role
Ideally we need a settled pair (J-Lo & Nasty) to play against Cardiff, Hull and Stoke so they have as much preparation time for when we come up against the rags as this was our downfall last year - too many different partnerships in central defence

chris85mcfc said:
Lescott is dependable when he is alongside Kompany but for me he doesn't look half the player alongside any of our other centre halves.

Perhaps that has something to do with him not having the confidence of stepping up as the main centre half.

I think exactly the same and that's why Boyata, in my opinion, couldn't step in at this stage.<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:27 pm --<br /><br />
SI's Bald Head said:
I don't think Boyata is good enough tbh, and probably needs to go on loan to a mid-table prem team where he will get games each week. We can then decide whether he'll be able to step up in the future
I like J-Lo as a defender but his distribution isn't and never will be good enough
Nasty, as I think we all agree is the long-term partner for VK, so to go and buy a 'top-drawer' CB may hinder his progress
I think J-Lo and Nasty will play on Sunday, with Garcia coming on after 70 mins for Nasty. Next week we will have Micah back too, and there is always the option to drop Yaya into CB and play Rodders next to Ferna in the DM role
Ideally we need a settled pair (J-Lo & Nasty) to play against Cardiff, Hull and Stoke so they have as much preparation time for when we come up against the rags as this was our downfall last year - too many different partnerships in central defence

I hope Nasty is fit to play but he's still a doubt and is obviously going to be off the pace.

We'll see!

Defenders have to stretch to tackle, there are some instances where going to ground may not be appropriate, because of the high risk of giving penalties. In the case against Newcastle Kompany won the ball completely cleanly and was in no danger from Ameobi who had he got past could have been a problem. The idea that someone does not tackle in case of injury is like saying you should not run in case of a hamstring.
Had Ameobi got past everyone would have been giving Kompany pelters for allowing him to do so . Kompanys positioning and tackle was 100% spot on, the injury was bad luck not bad play.

As per the comment above, Lescott is pretty solid next to Vincent (he won us the league after all) but just doesn't seem to be as effective paired with anyone else. But now is the time for him to step up to the plate and take responsibility, and you know what, I think he will do so. Pellegrini will be boosting his confidence with all sorts of encouraging pep talks and look at what that type of approach has done for Dzeko - he's a man transformed.

I have no doubt, Pellegrini will have been telling Lescott he's the main man, and that he's relying on him etc etc and that he has every confidence in him.

I think we will do OK lads.

with Vinny for at least one mouth out there is no reason to go and get a CB that can make the squad..go and get one of the best

Nasty will be back. Lets hope he has grew even more in stature over the summer and can take on some leadership and be more vocal. He could be the perfect defender.

First need to defend after Kompany went off against Newcastle there was a hint of panic and disorganisation with some flapping in defence. That worries me a bit, we seem to lack a natural leader without Kompany. Lescott is a follower and for now at least so is Nastasic. Pepe would have been perfect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.