Kyle Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know it's gonna be more than that, so in reality you are saying we should not go for him. So what's a credible alternative?
No, no, no... I actually want Walker, but saying 45 million is the starting price is ridiculous. And pretending its good busines is even worse. We have to view things within there relevant contexts.

Walker is a top FB in the Prem. Who are he other top fullbacks? Clyne, dude at Everton, dude at the rags, and Cedric Soares.
Many view Clyne to be as good as Walker, he cost 12.5 million 2 years ago. The price for good fullbacks didn't suddenly jump over 300% in 2 years.

We seem to have developed a wierd comfortably with overpaying. You here comments like "in the present market" or "English add-on" etc

But if you check the facts, you quickly find none of those beliefs or ideologies hold water.

Teams sometimes overpay for exceptional players. Because the value added is beyond replacement for their position. But generally, good players at each position tend to have a price range - plus or minus a few millions based on length of K left, how important to the club the player is and if the purchase is a hostile grab.

Those things increase prices a bit here and there. But your run of the mill transfer of a good player who's position has been usurped on his team already?

That should be textbook basic pricing. 13million (Clyne's price) add 10 million (inflation over 2 years) that's 22 million, add another 5 million for being a rival team's player. That leaves us at 27 million. So I added another 3 million just to be safe and to get us to a round number. 30 million. That's how I reached my guess.

At 35 million we are overpaying, but okay. I guess an extra 5 million coz we really need a fullback who is English.

But at 45, that's just being robbed. And yes, I get we'll get robbed sometimes (see Mangala)... But I'd be damned if anyone tries to convince me its a good deal.

We'll do it if we must, but like Stones deal, it would be a shit deal. However unlike Stones, Walker will neither have the time nor ability to ever make it worth it.

I'm confused about the HG quota I've read it's supposed to be 8 minimum from a squad of 25 but I'm struggling to think of a time we've had that many HG. Does the minimum change if you have players under 21 or something in your 25 players squad?

We have Stones, Sterling, Delph, Tosin... as Pep said he would love more but the Home Grown quota idea has backfired because all it's done is made decent English players a commodity that Clubs know they can charge more for as a result of these rules.

I don't like the idea of filling Spurs coffers and dislike Levy, so for me we get someone foreign and just as good, cheaper and younger, keep Delph and bring Roberts in.

50 million for a 27 year old who is an 8/10 player - 15 million more than has ever been paid for a full back and who wants to come North - no chance. He is worth 30 to 40 tops.
What the previous record for a FB is, is irrelevant. The price is set by the buyer not the seller. If we think he is worth 50, we will pay it.

I'm confused about the HG quota I've read it's supposed to be 8 minimum from a squad of 25 but I'm struggling to think of a time we've had that many HG. Does the minimum change if you have players under 21 or something in your 25 players squad?

We have Stones, Sterling, Delph, Tosin... as Pep said he would love more but the Home Grown quota idea has backfired because all it's done is made decent English players a commodity that Clubs know they can charge more for as a result of these rules.
In the days of gaz and milner etc we had half the england team playing for us

You don't have to have any homegrown.

A better way to look at it is the maximum amount of non-homegrown you can have is 17.

Any player under 21 doesn't count and you don't have to have a full squad, but if you do it's a minimum of 8 or to look at it another way a maximum of 17 over 21 overseas players. At least that is my understanding.

Last edited:
50 million for a 27 year old who is an 8/10 player - 15 million more than has ever been paid for a full back and who wants to come North - no chance. He is worth 30 to 40 tops.

Dom just pointed out the record is going to be 40m shortly from mendy. We're hard pressed for home grown and we're poaching from a rival club. That's definitely worth more than mendy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.