Kyle Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to think how this works. Gundo and Kyle were amongst the top performers at the end of the season. Both in as fine form as I can remember. That often happens with players putting themselves in the shop window. Older players seek to impress and eliminate any thought of their decline. In reality, they may be making withdrawls against their aging body.

That's all I can say, because I like, value and respect both players tremedously, and there is no doubt in my mind this is a blow to the squad.

I don't think Pep values him as highly as the fans and perhaps will look to use Akanji and Lewis at rb if Walker leaves.
Lewis just isn’t defensively reliable for big games, his strength is elsewhere. Pep now likes his defenders who defend. The numbers just aren’t there if Laporte and Walker go. It will need to be Gvardiol and another coming in. Ideally an actual full back.

This type of policy of telling letting players go if they are unhappy or want a move is bad from my opinion.

As much as I love Walker and think he has been fantastic over the years, I do think this might be the right time to move him on. His ability to shut down world class players like Mbappe or Vinicious Jr will be missed and just on qualities alone he could have played a part next season as well. But he is a 33 year old that relies a lot on his pace that lost his place as a regular starter the second half of the season and became more of a squad player. He seemed to be annoyed by this and seemingly wants a more important role so perhaps its best for both parties if he gets a new challenge and we replace him with a long term option. Will be interesting to see who the club will replace him with, if its someone with similar strengths or a different kind of player. I would preferably want to see us target someone that at least somewhat replaces his pace, even if finding an RB as fast as Walker will more or less be an impossible task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.