Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sacrificing centreback target in a hope to get Mbappe is so stupid. In such scenario, the chances are we'll lose VVD to Chelsea or Liverpool, lose other centreback targets to other teams all waiting for Mbappe, and then we won't get Mbappe and either settle with a last minute solution or will start the season with the same centrebacks as last season and hope that Kompany stays fit.

Even if we get Mbappe and Sanchez, we need a better defence more than we need Mbappe. He may turn out to be the next Messi of course but we need to fix our defence.
Then again, it might simply be all smoke and mirrors and you are worrying over nothing :)

really not happy if we don't get another CB signing just to sign mbappe! the kid is amazing no doubt but defence is where we need to strengthen!!

Sacrificing centreback target in a hope to get Mbappe is so stupid. In such scenario, the chances are we'll lose VVD to Chelsea or Liverpool, lose other centreback targets to other teams all waiting for Mbappe, and then we won't get Mbappe and either settle with a last minute solution or will start the season with the same centrebacks as last season and hope that Kompany stays fit.

Even if we get Mbappe and Sanchez, we need a better defence more than we need Mbappe. He may turn out to be the next Messi of course but we need to fix our defence.

@richards30 In what world is 2 new fullbacks and a new keeper "not strengthening the defence"?

@rollingnakedinmoney what part of us potentially signing 5 players before the transfer window opens worldwide makes you think we're going to get caught out pursuing a player we can't get while other Premier League clubs outmanoeuvre us?

If Guardiola thinks Mbappé is a once in a generation player (and he knows what one looks like), you let him choose what he wants more, what will be more beneficial long term, what will get us closest to our targets.

It seems to me that more and more these threads are full of bizarre excuses to not get players we've been linked with.

Getting Sanchez and/or Mbappé will be too many forwards for 3 places in the starting XI, but no one has any qualms about having VVD, Otamendi, Kompany, Stones and Kolarov for 2 CB positions.

It's been made abundantly clear that Walker, Mendy and Ederson are the priority signings but in every thread that talks about who arrives after that (forwards) people pretend it's going to be at the detriment to reinforcing the defence.

Last edited:
I really do not understand why we "Baled" Real Madrid out with a loan. What did we get or will get in return I thought the least they could do was to give us first dips and a clear run on targets like Mbappe.
We should of just let them struggle financially.
The loan had nothing to do with the club.

@richards30 In what world is 2 new fullbacks and a new keeper "not strengthening the defence"?

@rollingnakedinmoney what part of us potentially signing 5 players before the transfer window opens worldwide makes you think we're going to get caught out pursuing a player we can't get while other Premier League clubs outmanoeuvre us?

If Guardiola thinks Mbappé is a once in a generation player (and he knows what one looks like), you let him choose what he wants more, what will be more beneficial long term, what will get us closest to our targets.

It seems to me that more and more these threads are full of bizarre excuses to not get players we've been linked with.

Getting Sanchez and/or Mbappé will be too many forwards for 3 places in the starting XI, but no one has any qualms about having VVD, Otamendi, Kompany, Stones and Kolarov for 2 CB positions.

It's been made abundantly clear that Walker, Mendy and Ederson are the priority signings but in every thread that talks about who arrives after that (forwards) people pretend it's going to be at the detriment to reinforcing the defence.

Could it be the "Kun" factor that people are worried about and therefore pushing back on?

Could it be the "Kun" factor that people are worried about and therefore pushing back on?

I wasn't going to write it explicitly because I expect I'll get a torrent of replies, but yeah, I think most of the posters who are against signing this kid are basically finding excuses for us not to go after any transfer which might mean Agüero leaving - even though it's been made clear that him leaving will be his own choice.

I wasn't going to write it explicitly because I expect I'll get a torrent of replies, but yeah, I think most of the posters who are against signing this kid are basically finding excuses for us not to go after any transfer which might mean Agüero leaving - even though it's been made clear that him leaving will be his own choice.
Don't even get started, before you know it you might get called a rag if you insinuate that.

I am sure pep is going to sign a centre back anyhow, but if city have a chance to sign Mbappe, we have to grab that opportunity with both hands.

Very few players like him come around once a generation. He is a special special talent.

really not happy if we don't get another CB signing just to sign mbappe! the kid is amazing no doubt but defence is where we need to strengthen!!
Agree with this, there's not a chance Kolarov or Otamendi will cut it vs the CL teams. Not to mention with the rumors of possibly no DM signing, you're relying on likely either an ageing/past their prime Yaya or Fernandinho to cover your back in transition. Two players who've been relatively poor/inconsistent when it's come to the big occasion or vs an actual competitive midfield. I can't imagine what the Kroos's & Modric's of this world would do to those two. Talk about a big downgrade, coming from Vidal who'd dominate his midfield & single-handedly destroy opponents...

Then again, if you do sign Sánchez, him & Agüero probably only have 2-3 more years playing at this level. Mbappé would only be 20-21 by then. Have a potential once in a generation striker who by all means has all the tools to become a ballon d'or contender. Will have all eyes on him in the world cup where he's playing for a front-running France side. Beating the Real Madrid's of this world to him could potentially be a huge turn in football.

Last edited:

What are you, a high school teacher trying to correct everyone's opinion?

To answer your question, it's Sam Lee's article that was linked, which says:

"Van Dijk has emerged as the top target for the central defensive position and City are ready to pay Southampton around £50m for his services. "

and then

"There are currently discussions ongoing behind the scenes which suggest the Van Dijk move could be delayed or even shelved if a move for long-time target and Pep Guardiola favourite Mbappe becomes possible.

The Blues made a late bid to sign the teenager towards the end of last summer's transfer window and are so keen to bring him to the club that they remain interested despite Monaco's massive asking price.

It is believed that City, in an ideal scenario, would wait a year to sign the 18-year-old, so they could use the money required - £110m or more - on strengthening other areas of the squad this summer."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892...entre-back-target-but-move-could?ICID=HP_BN_2

This basically says Pep might end up getting neither the "top target van Dyke" nor "Mbappe" since the kid will probably stay in Monaco or go to Real Madrid because he's a fan of them and one of Liverpool/Chelsea might snatch him while Pep's waiting for Mbappe.

And that's not good since Pep himself said we would get a centreback this summer, and he said that because he obviously needs it.

Did you understand what I just described to you? Because you act like this all knowing prison guard/high priest and jump on anyone the moment anyone questions or criticizes Pep as if he's a god, although he's just a human and could f.k up and fail as he has failed before and will fail again in the future just like all humans will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.