L.A

Didn't get to go at night due to time constraints but will put that on my list for next time.
I went 3 years ago to watch Morrissey at the Hollywood Bowl (yes I got him into the thread) and stayed at an apartment AIR BNB in West Hollywood.
From our room there was a door leading out to a roof top / smoking area etc but exclusive to us with chairs and table etc and it looked out over LA and onto the Pacific (not that we could see it) after gazing into the lights in front of us for 10 mins or so i turned around and was gobsmacked by the view now in front of me. Bright different coloured lights shining from the hillside up and onto this palatial looking building. Had no idea what it was but it was amazing.

In the morning first thing I went back out on to the roof and in the daylight looked up and recognised it straight away as the Observatory.
We went up there that same night with friends who drove us and wow just brilliant.
Then the following day we went in daylight. It really is like visiting 2 different locations and the best thing is unless you want to go inside it is absolutely free (parking is a right pain though)

I went 3 years ago to watch Morrissey at the Hollywood Bowl (yes I got him into the thread) and stayed at an apartment AIR BNB in West Hollywood.
From our room there was a door leading out to a roof top / smoking area etc but exclusive to us with chairs and table etc and it looked out over LA and onto the Pacific (not that we could see it) after gazing into the lights in front of us for 10 mins or so i turned around and was gobsmacked by the view now in front of me. Bright different coloured lights shining from the hillside up and onto this palatial looking building. Had no idea what it was but it was amazing.

In the morning first thing I went back out on to the roof and in the daylight looked up and recognised it straight away as the Observatory.
We went up there that same night with friends who drove us and wow just brilliant.
Then the following day we went in daylight. It really is like visiting 2 different locations and the best thing is unless you want to go inside it is absolutely free (parking is a right pain though)
I remember parking down the hill and walking up a little bit, but can't remember if it was free or not. We only had 3 nights in LA, and the first night was after a long drive from Cambria and then another was at Universal. I think the last night was trying to get as close as possible for a photo of the Hollywood sign. Bloody tourists, eh!

I will be in the minority but many years ago spent a month in California and LA was awful. Venice beach was the biggest disappointment, not helped by me standing on a needle planted in the sand. San Diego & San Francisco were brilliant as was Carmel.

Go to East LA, flash your lights to let someone out of a junction and then test your driving skills as they chase you with a gun. Is not the done thing there, flashing lights is like a Maori dance.

Last edited:
I remember parking down the hill and walking up a little bit, but can't remember if it was free or not. We only had 3 nights in LA, and the first night was after a long drive from Cambria and then another was at Universal. I think the last night was trying to get as close as possible for a photo of the Hollywood sign. Bloody tourists, eh!
It was free to park on the side of the road and on the meter at the top.
You can get a decent photo at the car park of the Hollywood sign in the near distance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.