La Liga Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you’re bang on. It’s a big problem everywhere there and in all walks of life. And as somebody who is a year off getting a Portuguese passport I can tell you they aren’t much better. The casualness with which Bernardo used racist tropes against Mendy without even thinking it was a big deal is a snapshot of what every day life is like there for black people. My wife was told by her teacher that if she worked really hard in school she could aspire to be a cleaner for a white family.

They are frankly decades behind other countries. Without saying other countries are by any measure perfect. But that said, I think we saw football in this country was quite a big catalyst for positive change in wider society, if they had the will they could do the same there.
Bernado was a good friend of Mendy, he’s a relatively young guy who meant nothing racist other than making the connection Mendy is black. I had big front teeth as a kid, I acquired the nickname “Plug” who was a character from a comic, I wasn’t offended and it wasn’t malicious just like Bernardo’s tweet.

Problem obviously lies with the racists, but down to the rest of us to do something about it.

Not sure Courtois really helps saying if Vinicius had wanted to walk off, he'd have joined him, at which point it becomes black footballer being 'a snowflake about a bit of banter'. Courtois should have walked off and taken the rest of the team with him. It shouldn't come to asking black players if they're ok to put up with it. Saw the same with England a few years ago. The white players should tell the authorities they're not playing until it's sorted, otherwise they're complicit in it and making the victims be the ones to do something about it. We wouldn't think it was acceptable with any other sort of abuse "well, he was punching her in the face, but she said she still loved him so we let him carry on".

Bernado was a good friend of Mendy, he’s a relatively young guy who meant nothing racist other than making the connection Mendy is black. I had big front teeth as a kid, I acquired the nickname “Plug” who was a character from a comic, I wasn’t offended and it wasn’t malicious just like Bernardo’s tweet.

What Bernardo and Mendy think is acceptable within the bounds of their relationship is entirely up to them - and I don’t at all think Bernardo is a malicious guy.

My point was simply that Bernardo didn’t think twice that putting that into the public domain wouldn’t be well received. And the reason he didn’t think twice is because where he is from nobody would bat an eyelid. That kind of behaviour is never challenged in Iberia. And now with the Valencia fans you see the ugly consequences of that.

It just substantiates Vinicius Junior's point that the whole lot are racist when that turd is the head.
I didn’t see it yesterday but have heard about it and it’s fucking disgusting. I remember an international friendly that England played in Spain (SWP was playing) and virtually the whole ground seemed to be booing England’s black players, and making monkey noises and gestures), worse than anything I’ve ever seen in a football ground). Horrible. Edit - and I’ve been to the old den

Last edited:
What Bernardo and Mendy think is acceptable within the bounds of their relationship is entirely up to them - and I don’t at all think Bernardo is a malicious guy.

My point was simply that Bernardo didn’t think twice that putting that into the public domain wouldn’t be well received. And the reason he didn’t think twice is because where he is from nobody would bat an eyelid. That kind of behaviour is never challenged in Iberia. And now with the Valencia fans you see the ugly consequences of that.
I understand what you are saying but as I’ve posted earlier in the UK we had an ambivalent attitude to racism that wasn’t malicious but would not be tolerated today.

I’ve been to Spain and Portugal many times and love both countries, however the level of racism in Spain is well recognised, I didn’t know Portugal had the same problem.

It was disgraceful behaviour from the Valencia fans, completely unacceptable. I’m proud of our diverse support, Champions League nights are like the League of Nations get togethers, the support is incredible, long may it continue.

Meanwhile the war in Sudan continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.