La Liga Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to say it but they are all like that out there. The saying "when in Rome" comes to play here. No one really cares about resolving the issue until it happens to one of their own. Real have done these things to the likes of Eto'o in the past, Barca spoke against it, then Busquets called Marcelo a "mono" and surprisingly Real spoke against it and Barca defended their player. It's a game of whataboutism out there, "I might be racist but what about those fans and those fans and those fans".

Yes you’re bang on. It’s a big problem everywhere there and in all walks of life. And as somebody who is a year off getting a Portuguese passport I can tell you they aren’t much better. The casualness with which Bernardo used racist tropes against Mendy without even thinking it was a big deal is a snapshot of what every day life is like there for black people. My wife was told by her teacher that if she worked really hard in school she could aspire to be a cleaner for a white family.

They are frankly decades behind other countries. Without saying other countries are by any measure perfect. But that said, I think we saw football in this country was quite a big catalyst for positive change in wider society, if they had the will they could do the same there.

I was a racist little **** back in 97 as well, people can change a lot in 26 years.
I’ve posted before, growing up in the 60’s and a teenager in the 70’s, gollywogs on marmalade jars, black sambo money boxes, black and Asians racially ridiculed in comedy shows, I laughed as did the majority. I was a horse mad kid and once I’d done my training my regular pony was called N****r, it was just accepted, hard for the later generations to understand, you just had to be there. I think it was Spike Milligan who did a sketch where a black postman delivered a letter, Milligan them said “ah, blackmail” how we laughed.

1u5zeo.gif

;-)
That's acute reply.

Yes you’re bang on. It’s a big problem everywhere there and in all walks of life. And as somebody who is a year off getting a Portuguese passport I can tell you they aren’t much better. The casualness with which Bernardo used racist tropes against Mendy without even thinking it was a big deal is a snapshot of what every day life is like there for black people. My wife was told by her teacher that if she worked really hard in school she could aspire to be a cleaner for a white family.

They are frankly decades behind other countries. Without saying other countries are by any measure perfect. But that said, I think we saw football in this country was quite a big catalyst for positive change in wider society, if they had the will they could do the same there.
Wait, what?!

Wait, what?!

Apparently it’s quite common for people from former Portuguese colonies like Angola and Mozambique to be cleaners. Similar dynamic to how people in the US stereotype Mexicans.

Anyway my wife had the last laugh, she’ll be qualifying as a doctor in the next few months :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.