Lakey's Blue Tuesday question: Dearly Departed Players...

Richard Dunne.... He has been such a stalwart and it's just a shame he hasn't been able to stay and end his career by winning cups with City. He might not be an attacking, flair player but he was a true gent and loyal servant. People underestimate how important he has been for us. This is doubly true for fans of other clubs who have no idea how great a defender he is. Sure, he may not be world class, but he's a lot better than people give him credit for.

A few spring to mind - Rosler, Quinn, Hinchcliffe, Walsh, Coton and Kinky of course. More up to date Anelka and Dunne if he goes, and on a sadder note Marc Vivien Foe.

But the biggest one for me in actual transfers out, weirdly some may say, would be David White. I started watching city in '87 so it was just as the Lakey-era of players were coming through and it was really exciting and something to be proud of. As a kid I watched us thump team after team it seemed like, and David White was a huge part of that. When Leeds robbed us of him I felt like it was the end of something, and an admission that they were bigger than us. Ok, so he was a kick and run merchant and no Kinkladze on the ball, but he was the guy who stuck 'em in every game I watched as a kid. I was only about 9 at the time and I went to the Meadowhall Centre with my family not long after he moved and saw him there - I just stood there looking at my ex-hero wondering how he could play for Leeds after all he had done for City, knowing that the Leeds scumbags would never appreciate him as he had been at City.

And for the record, David White scored our first Premiership goal. I still maintain that if we'd kept him and he'd avoided injury, Beagrie on the left and White on the right with Quinn and Walsh or Rosler upfront would have been top notch and changed our history. With the addition of a couple of defenders maybe...

Hmm. quick visit to wikipedia reveals that:
Later it would transpire that White had requested a transfer when Brian Horton took over at the club, fearing a break up of the team he had been a part of under Peter Reid. White would later admit to regretting his rashness and that he never really gave Horton a chance to change his mind.
Never knew that. Oh David, tut tut.

Peter Barnes and Gary Owen, although I/we didn't know it then, but that was the start of thirty odd years of pain. You never win anything by selling your best players. Barnes was a full England International an exceptional talent that in my opinion would get in the current City side in front of Robbie (thats only my opinion) and Owen was U21's I think? Trevor Francis (Full England International also), apparently/allegedly he was sold to buy the "new" roof at Maine Road. Hopefully with the new regime this will never happen again. We should have won the league in 76-77!!!

theres been a few over the years like you when Pter Barnes left i was devasted as he was my earliest hero.

Asa leaving aswell really cut me up too when i was young, as did KInky & Niall Quinn

BUT the biggest heartbreak for me was when SWP left for Chelsea - it really drove home our status at the time and the difference between the haves and the have nots and we were certainly the latter - add to that, that he was a product of our accadamy was the only real talent in the team at the time and i was just absolutely gutted.

Out of all our transfers over the last two years - him returning was the best for me, i love the little guy. I know Robinho Tevez Adebyour etc are bigger names and probably better but getting SWP home was a massive coup for us as it proved to me that if we can get someone off Chelsea (albeit he was on the sidelines) then we were really back amoungst the big boys.
Just like to add a big thank-ypu to Richard Dunne for his service over the years for my club true hero especially that season under Pearce when he was brilliant but now is the time to move on - it would not be right for him to be sitting on the bench week in week out - having someone else as Captain when he is still at the club, he deserves more so he goes with my blessings

theres been a few over the years like you when Pter Barnes left i was devasted as he was my earliest hero.

Asa leaving aswell really cut me up too when i was young, as did KInky & Niall Quinn

BUT the biggest heartbreak for me was when SWP left for Chelsea - it really drove home our status at the time and the difference between the haves and the have nots and we were certainly the latter - add to that, that he was a product of our accadamy was the only real talent in the team at the time and i was just absolutely gutted.

Out of all our transfers over the last two years - him returning was the best for me, i love the little guy. I know Robinho Tevez Adebyour etc are bigger names and probably better but getting SWP home was a massive coup for us as it proved to me that if we can get someone off Chelsea (albeit he was on the sidelines) then we were really back amoungst the big boys.
Just like to add a big thank-ypu to Richard Dunne for his service over the years for my club true hero especially that season under Pearce when he was brilliant but now is the time to move on - it would not be right for him to be sitting on the bench week in week out - having someone else as Captain when he is still at the club, he deserves more so he goes with my blessings

It's an odd one really but mark Lillis. I suppose it was the era I started going to Maine Road. He was just one of us on the pitch. His goal celebrations were just raw fandom. You got the feeling that he would have wanted to be on the Kippax just to see himself score.

gx

For me Garry Flitcroft's departure really cut my 10-year-old heart deep, as did Niall Quinn's not long after. SWP's goes without saying I think.

But as funny as this might sound to some fans, I was gutted when Joey Barton's final indiscretion forced him out of City. He was always a favourite to me because he was home-grown and a more than useful player during a fairely dire era. Apare from anything though, Joey seemed as though he cared about the club and the team's success. A listen to the interview he gave after a 1-1 draw away to Watford late in the 2006-7 campaign only confirms his passion for the club and disappointment at our continued on-pitch mediocrity. A shame then that his City career was tarnished, and ultimately ended by his continued off-field misdemeanours.

I'll never forget his 'shhusshh' celebration after equalising at Old Trafford in 2006, magic.

Sylvain Distin was a strange one, because it seemed to be confirmation of the road we were heading down...

Was also saddened to see Wanchope go tbh.

Trevor Francis.

Although he did not play often he was pure class and I think his departure said everything about where we were going from then on.

It wasnt until your era arrived Lakey that we started to come out of this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.