Lakey's Blue Tuesday question: Dearly Departed Players...

SWP going to Chelski nearly ended my love affair with City and football. Selling him said a lot about the state we were in at the time as a club.
He was easily our most exciting player and worth the ticket price on his own. Whenever Shaunny got the ball half the stadium would get to their feet in anticipation of another darting, un-stoppable run and he usually gave us what we wanted.
His tenacity, enthusiasm, skill and attitude were the qualities that every young kid should've been shown as the correct way to play the game.
News of his sale had me proclaiming that, "That's it, i'm never going again."
Obviously i never stuck to my words and the day we re-signed him was one of the happiest moments i can recall that didn't involve the kicking of a football.

sky tot said:
lancs blue said:
Q: Which player were you most gutted to see leave Manchester City and why?

Clive Wilson for me, he'd been showing so much skill and flair in a team that was always heading for relegation in 1987 and it was utterly depressing to realise he wouldn't be around the following season.

Keep up the good work, Lakey.
great shout Lancs,silky clive was a great player and i was gutted when he left.

Clive for me too.

I rang the club as a kid to complain and all credit to them they did talk to me and explain - can't remember what they said though!

I'm sure it was before '87 though?!?

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Peter Barnes and Gary Owen, although I/we didn't know it then, but that was the start of thirty odd years of pain. You never win anything by selling your best players. Barnes was a full England International an exceptional talent that in my opinion would get in the current City side in front of Robbie (thats only my opinion) and Owen was U21's I think? Trevor Francis (Full England International also), apparently/allegedly he was sold to buy the "new" roof at Maine Road. Hopefully with the new regime this will never happen again. We should have won the league in 76-77!!!
ditto, barnes and owen.owen had a beautiful touch almost brazillian like,certainly hoddle like and barnsey flying down that wing gave me moments of pleasure i was not to see again for many a year.if memory serves i think it was owen who shed tears after being told he was being sold.he later went on to find solace in meat pies.

exileindevon said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Peter Barnes and Gary Owen, although I/we didn't know it then, but that was the start of thirty odd years of pain. You never win anything by selling your best players. Barnes was a full England International an exceptional talent that in my opinion would get in the current City side in front of Robbie (thats only my opinion) and Owen was U21's I think? Trevor Francis (Full England International also), apparently/allegedly he was sold to buy the "new" roof at Maine Road. Hopefully with the new regime this will never happen again. We should have won the league in 76-77!!!
ditto, barnes and owen.owen had a beautiful touch almost brazillian like,certainly hoddle like and barnsey flying down that wing gave me moments of pleasure i was not to see again for many a year.if memory serves i think it was owen who shed tears after being told he was being sold.he later went on to find solace in meat pies.

Apparently Owen's Dad drove him down there and said it was like taking a dog to the vet to be put down.

I was also gutted to lose those two but was probably too young to fully appreciate what was happening.

Paul Lake. Players come and go but I felt particularly robbed when he (you) left.

Other than that Francis and Nicky Reid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.