Laporte says goodbye

Not sure which I find stranger - that no top European club has put a bid in for Laporte or the fact that we’ve accepted £23.5 million for him ?? It’s bizarre - he’s way better than that in the current market
As you say mate, bizarre. We sell young lads from the academy for that. How is it that WHam were happy to pay 30 mill for Slabhead but didn't want to offer to buy Laporte for 23.5 mill ? Only one word , bizarre.

Surely Laporte's value on the balance sheet was way more than that.

A great servant to the club and a good guy by all accounts. Scored the winning goal in a cup final and a crucial goal to help us win the league on the last day of the season. Sure to get a hero’s reception when he returns one day.

Great servant for us, and I don't begrudge him his move to Saudi Arabia.
In some respects he's quite unlucky that Ake stepped up his game so much last season, and that Akanji slotted in seamlessly. Either of those don't happen and he might still be playing for us this season.

Whilst on the surface the move might look a bit odd, and certainly the transfer fee is low, I imagine Laporte might have entertained the idea of only joining a select few European clubs.
With nothing seemingly forthcoming, the chance to earn mega money over there plus the fact he's won everything now, probably made SA a reasonably attractive option for an easy and huge payday.

Doesn't he want to head back to Bilbao in his early 30s to finish his career there? Should be easy enough to do that in 2/3 years when he's done in SA. The football over there shouldn't be too taxing on his (slightly) injury plagued body, which could prolong his career by a couple of years.

Wish him all the best for the future, and I'm sure we'll see him back at City in some capacity in the future.

As you say mate, bizarre. We sell young lads from the academy for that. How is it that WHam were happy to pay 30 mill for Slabhead but didn't want to offer to buy Laporte for 23.5 mill ? Only one word , bizarre.

Surely Laporte's value on the balance sheet was way more than that.
He would have the worth about £18.5m according to the accountants, as the original value just depreciates to zero over the term with a straight line. I thought we would have got back close to what we paid though, at least £50m.

He's a Basque, man.

;)

That's like calling Pep a Spaniard.

He is not a basque. He doesn't feel himself like that. He becomes from a french family. He does not speak a single word in basque.

Basque and catalan culture in french sides are very reduced. Maybe 2 or 3% of people are and feel the own culture.

Athletic or Real Sociedad are very nationalists clubes.

Athletic resist without buying foreigners. Real Sociedad broke that 32 or 33 years ago, and took A LOT of work for them to make that decision.

In fact, first foreign player they bought was Aldridge, an irish guy, in a political decision. It was like "well, he is not basque, but he is irish, 'a way of being basque' ".

IRA and ETA (terrorist independist basque group) in those years were brothers. There is a great connection between irish, catalan and basque people.

This is Belfast:

eta-ira-k2IF-U501676351575FL-624x385@El%20Correo.jpg

askatasuna-euskadi-mural-como-parte-de-international-murales-en-el-republicano-falls-road-de-belfast-occidental-zona-norte-ahea0y.jpg

catalan-mural-belfast.jpg

640px-Paisos_catalans_belfast.jpg

4190490032_258067fff1_b.jpg

Guys like Laporte are guys who just tolerate basque culture, whom they knew in almost adulthood, through football in Athletic Bilbao.

Crazy to lose such a good player for that amount, if he wanted to stay he should have, good enough for any team, good enough as back up and 20 games a season for us. Best of luck in your new adventure and god bless!

Very good cb who has played a part in our success. Unfortunately, injuries blighted his time at City, I hope everything works out for him at his new club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.