Last Film You Saw

Just watched Joker. Great film. I've not enjoyed any of the Batman movies other than this. The best of the rest were "style over substance" imo and the others were garbage. But this one is a proper movie. It was great to have DeNiro in it because it was so similar to TaxiDriver. I think it was as good if not better actually.

Just watched Joker. Great film. I've not enjoyed any of the Batman movies other than this. The best of the rest were "style over substance" imo and the others were garbage. But this one is a proper movie. It was great to have DeNiro in it because it was so similar to TaxiDriver. I think it was as good if not better actually.

Oh, I believe that opinion on 'Bats' will change!

I've just uploaded the new vid from 'DC Fandome' to the 'Trailer' thread!!

Just watched this netflix documentary - old though - “echo in the canyon”, about the folk rock movement of byrds, beach boys, mamas/papas, beatles...uneducated on such matters so if by & large true it was fascinating. Kind of weird structure to doc but fun in own way. Jakob Dylan was narrator.

Oh, I believe that opinion on 'Bats' will change!

I've just uploaded the new vid from 'DC Fandome' to the 'Trailer' thread!!

Surely the trailer backs up his point of style over substance...

Seriously it is filled with cool shots but brings nothing new

Surely the trailer backs up his point of style over substance...

Seriously it is filled with cool shots but brings nothing new

Actually, it does.

Here, you see 'The Batman' , young, raw and emotional (year two, I think). You see the relentless drive that borders on insanity.

I'm sure you and I had this discussion about canon comic 'Bats' which is way different from studio sanitised 'Bats' of yesteryear.

You, I think, said he was always a force for good. He was not and even in the current sanitised arc, this part of him burns in the background.

Actually, it does.

Here, you see 'The Batman' , young, raw and emotional (year two, I think). You see the relentless drive that borders on insanity.

I'm sure you and I had this discussion about canon comic 'Bats' which is way different from studio sanitised 'Bats' of yesteryear.

You, I think, said he was always a force for good. He was not and even in the current sanitised arc, this part of him burns in the background.

Year 2 batman we have already seen in both TDK and Batman.
The emotional batman we saw in BvS. Not sure what your point is to be honest...

You refer to the batman from the comics but batman has been around for almost 100 years in thousands of comics not to mention various other media. His potrayal in the comics throughout that time has wildly changed. Can you really compare the Batman from the 60/70s comics to the Batman from the 00/10s?

Fair enough you have read your comics and found a version of batman you like but it goes both ways. The version of batman I like has a plan. He isnt the bruiser you seem to like. You refer to him as close to insane so I am actually curious to know how you define his no kill rule?

But my most glaring issue with this movie really is we have seen this time period before, we have seen these villians before, why not push the story forward? We barely scratched the surface of Batfleck I want to see more of older Batman, I want to see a ReD Hood storyline, I want to see Nightwing, Oracle. Just move the story forward, introduce new character and dynamics

Year 2 batman we have already seen in both TDK and Batman.
The emotional batman we saw in BvS. Not sure what your point is to be honest...

You refer to the batman from the comics but batman has been around for almost 100 years in thousands of comics not to mention various other media. His potrayal in the comics throughout that time has wildly changed. Can you really compare the Batman from the 60/70s comics to the Batman from the 00/10s?

Fair enough you have read your comics and found a version of batman you like but it goes both ways. The version of batman I like has a plan. He isnt the bruiser you seem to like. You refer to him as close to insane so I am actually curious to know how you define his no kill rule?

But my most glaring issue with this movie really is we have seen this time period before, we have seen these villians before, why not push the story forward? We barely scratched the surface of Batfleck I want to see more of older Batman, I want to see a ReD Hood storyline, I want to see Nightwing, Oracle. Just move the story forward, introduce new character and dynamics

I take that onboard what you say about the older set of 'Bats' comics, but I remember the change when it happened and that was 'what kind of mentality do you have to have to dress up in a costume to fight crime?'. So, it was Frank Miller and Bob Kane(I think?) that re-examined the psychology.

If you recall, there was a spate of films that came on the back of this about 15 years back.

So, yes, you're right we've seen these types of villains before, BUT I think the villains have been re-examined too. The old versions of 'Bats' films were always dipping toes into the 'Bats' canon to serve purposes and not an authentic visit into the arc (we pretty much know Nolan would always make something his own in some way).

I do believe this story has been push forward as I believe 'The Court of Owls' come into play in this current iteration and brings in complicated family ties. We MAY see 'Red Hood' and 'Nightwing' through the upcoming DC 'multiverse'.

It's always going to be a feeling out process.

Interesting.

Why was it irritating and how did it make you feel?
For some people in a social situation laughing is an automatic response to tension, pressure and also a reaction to seeing something bad happen. Not sure I'd know how to react to it on a bus though! The Joker tried to merge his clown persona into real life as a protection blanket and cleverly used it to cover his tracks. For me this film was a character study in mental illness, the fine line between sanity & insanity, or was it an attempt at bringing one of Batman's nemeses into the 21st century and steering the whole franchise away from the old 'KAPOW' comic-strip generation. Or the story of a serial killer and unlikely anti-hero wrapped up in the modern dark clothing that DC has now become? As mentioned there are definite echoes of Taxi Driver, I also got Silence of The Lambs vibes, Jim Carrey in The Mask too. Manic, hallucinogenic and transformative. Just like watching the blues!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.