Last Film You Saw

Frozen.......expected more, 6/10 (and i'm being generous as I generally enjoy these animated films). Even my 9YO daughter thought it was "just ok"

"American Sniper".

Questions aplenty for Clint Eastwood's depiction of the character of Chris Kyle, but if you didn't know about this guy previously, you would walk away thinking "f*ck yeah, America!"! But I did know of this guy and Eastwood touches upon the aspects that are questionable in such a slight fashion, you would think it was never a problem.

Eastwood is extremely clever in pitching whether an arsehole can ever be a 'hero' and at which point can you forget he was one. If you don't know the background to Kyle, then I have offered no spoilers here and if you do, I suspect you might even agree with me.

As for the film, it plays out okay until you get to some surreal parts where you're left scratching your head.

I can never understand how Eastwood delivers some excellent film pieces and some utter tripe and this rests somewhere in the middle.

BOMBER7967 said:
Frozen.......expected more, 6/10 (and i'm being generous as I generally enjoy these animated films). Even my 9YO daughter thought it was "just ok"

Try to watch the documentary shown on channel 4 over Christmas. They were halfway through it and had the release day brought forward by a year. It got them to the stage where they were just coming up with ideas and going with them.

I think it's a rough diamond. The sisters, the curse, the plot are all strong. The little rock trolls and the giant snowman are shit but you can see an absolute classic in parts. The message about true love is good as well.

Not that I've taken an interest in the film or anything.

Unbroken

An extraordinary true story but a mehh film...Just watch a man go from shit situation to shit situation and you're rooting for him all the way which is part of it's down fall. looks nice with some good set pieces. That Jack O'connell lad is going places, especially after seeing starred up

American Sniper don't really know much about Chris so as biopic snippet I thought it was very good 8/10
Imitation Game absolutely superb film and I think BC will get the Oscar, so tragic what happened to him the government of the day should be ashamed of themselves 9/10

"Unbroken".

Surprisingly sterile film when the subject is so interesting. I'm not sure why I didn't engage with 98% of it and that's shocked me. Jolie focuses on all the wrong aspects for this film to draw your attention to and there is a particularly long scene, that whilst interesting could have been easily halved with the same result.

This is almost a colour-by-numbers direction of mostly put together set pieces with no flow. There is almost 'helped out by my mates' feel about it. The lead, O'Connell, is just about the only saving grace of this tepid film.

Awful direction of an interesting subject.

Birdman 5/10 - Wanted to love it, but most of the humour just fell flat on its arse for my tastes. I'll give it credit for the unqiue cinematography but major disappointment overall after the hype behind it.

Whiplash 7/10 - Another one getting all the plaudits. Dont get me wrong, very well executed film but found the lead character quite unlikable tbh (Which isn't always a bad trait, loved Nightcrawler for that sole reason) but worth a watch for sure.

Tanzeylee said:
Ghosts of Mars, wow it's terrible...
Which film is that? Is that the Val Kilmer one?
Love a good sci-fi,
Moon
Event horizon
Interstellar
Alien
Aliens
Sunshine (think it was called)
Gattaca

Anyone got any others to add please do, it's my retreat genre as she hates it and love a film I can watch alone without being asked "who's he?".. "whys he doing that?"....sci-fi is my time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.