Last Film You Saw

Finally got round to seeing the Northman!

Took a while to get used to the style, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didnt quite live up to my expectations following the witch and the lighthouse, I'd give it 7.8/10

Saw Top Gun. It is obviously very much of a specific time. Once in a long while, it is enjoyable.

Operation Mincemeat.
Decent film, interesting insight into espionage during WWII for the plans to take Scilliy.
Good old English accents from the actors in a film was a breath of fresh air.
Enjoyed it immensely.
Always amazes me what helped change the trajectory of the war!

The Northman - stylistically a standard Eggers film tbh. Score is brilliant, use of imagery is good sometimes i think the overall use of cinematography leaves a cheap feel to it. As with most of his films, it seems like a theatre production that is brought to film and he even goes as far as splitting it into acts. I also didn't really get what the point was of having them speak in English with really shit accents. 7/10

Alexander Skarsgard is almost unrecognisable, he's HUGE in this and pulls off the part really well. Since he is Swedish, i really don't get why they didn't just do the whole thing in one of the Nordic languages.

Alexander Skarsgard is almost unrecognisable, he's HUGE in this and pulls off the part really well. Since he is Swedish, i really don't get why they didn't just do the whole thing in one of the Nordic languages.
I guess he was the only actor who could speak a Nordic language.
The other main actors, Anya Taylor Joy, Willem Dafoe, Nicole Kidman, Ethan Hawke, all English speakers

I guess he was the only actor who could speak a Nordic language.
The other main actors, Anya Taylor Joy, Willem Dafoe, Nicole Kidman, Ethan Hawke, all English speakers
Yeah i get that. but they have specifically gone out to get a Swedish actor here for the main role. His other 3 brothers are also actors, they could have been brought in and it's not as if there isn't a whole host of Nordic actors in Hollywood right now. If you're going to make a film for a certain audience, and let's not kid ourselves this film isn't for everyone, then go the whole way IMHO.

The Northman - stylistically a standard Eggers film tbh. Score is brilliant, use of imagery is good sometimes i think the overall use of cinematography leaves a cheap feel to it. As with most of his films, it seems like a theatre production that is brought to film and he even goes as far as splitting it into acts. I also didn't really get what the point was of having them speak in English with really shit accents. 7/10

Funding. Difficult to make a $70-90 Million film in a "niche" language and get your money back.

Yeah i get that. but they have specifically gone out to get a Swedish actor here for the main role. His other 3 brothers are also actors, they could have been brought in and it's not as if there isn't a whole host of Nordic actors in Hollywood right now. If you're going to make a film for a certain audience, and let's not kid ourselves this film isn't for everyone, then go the whole way IMHO.

The Vikings series has done very very well and that's with "Strange accents" it didn't harm the watchability at all.

Overall the film was a bit shit, anticipated by many with a great cast and put together by a man with crayons, harsh but true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.