Last Film You Saw

Top Gun: Maverick.

Watched it in IMAX, so good sound. It was pretty good, with some great flying scenes. Even my missus enjoyed it, but I just came out feeling nostalgic for the old Top Gun. Couldn’t really empathise with the new characters, and seeing the mighty F-14 cast as ancient made me feel very old.

Many are of the view that Come and See, by Elem Klimov, is one of the greatest - if not the greatest - war movies ever made (personally I would rate it just above Apocalypse Now and the Japanese film Fires on the Plain in my own ranking of films in this genre).

What is not so well-known is that Klimov's wife, the Soviet-Ukraine director Larisa Shepitko, made a movie that is every bit as good.

Shepitko put herself and her actors through extraordinary physical trials during movie shoots and had to overcome illness and severe injury, as well as the concerns of Russian censors, to get her films screened.

Fortunately, her finest work, The Ascent, is currently available to see on YouTube with English subtitles. It is well worth a couple of hours of anyone's time.

Top Gun: Maverick.

Watched it in IMAX, so good sound. It was pretty good, with some great flying scenes. Even my missus enjoyed it, but I just came out feeling nostalgic for the old Top Gun. Couldn’t really empathise with the new characters, and seeing the mighty F-14 cast as ancient made me feel very old.
Just this minute come home from seeing it. Cheesy AF but quite enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously.

Just this minute come home from seeing it. Cheesy AF but quite enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously.
Yeah, I went to see it tonight as well. No fancy IMAX or 4K screen around here, I'm afraid. It was okay, I guess. Not sure it'll break into my top 20 films of all time, mind. The flying scenes, particularly the training part of the film, are very impressive, it has to be said. I'd say they would look the canine's testes in 4K/IMAX. As would Ms Connelly!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.