Last Film You Saw

Asteroid City - 5/10.

Been looking forward to this for a while.
It won’t appeal to most.

For me though it was a bit too quirky for its own good. Bit of a let down.

I think even people who love Wes Anderson would only go as high as 7/10. It’s not one of his best.
Most people though I can see giving it a 2 or 3 as it is quite pointless and ermm different ha.

also Asteroid City - 7/10

i'm interested in Wes Anderson films because they are not of the mainstream making, he has carved out a very unique style, which i respect in an art form. I'm not a devoted 'fan' by any stretch though. However his films do seem to be becoming cliches of themselves, particularly his previous outing, the French Dispatch. Anyway, this film is a little odd, as you'd expect, but the usual beautiful pastel colours and deadpan cinematography is there (both in acting and shots). It's got more meaning to it than some recent ones, which ticks it up from 6 to 7.

also Asteroid City - 7/10

i'm interested in Wes Anderson films because they are not of the mainstream making, he has carved out a very unique style, which i respect in an art form. I'm not a devoted 'fan' by any stretch though. However his films do seem to be becoming cliches of themselves, particularly his previous outing, the French Dispatch. Anyway, this film is a little odd, as you'd expect, but the usual beautiful pastel colours and deadpan cinematography is there (both in acting and shots). It's got more meaning to it than some recent ones, which ticks it up from 6 to 7.
Its cinematically beautiful but there is just nothing else. Its just a movie where nothing much happens.

It depends I suppose if you want your cinema to be art or entertainment. If you can get both then its exceptional, but in this medium, for the vast majority of the cinema going audience a movie can get away with being only entertaining, but unless you're at the Sundance film festival, being artistic alone isn't enough.

Its cinematically beautiful but there is just nothing else. Its just a movie where nothing much happens.

It depends I suppose if you want your cinema to be art or entertainment. If you can get both then its exceptional, but in this medium, for the vast majority of the cinema going audience a movie can get away with being only entertaining, but unless you're at the Sundance film festival, being artistic alone isn't enough.

well i dont mind a film being art or entertainment, or a mixture of both, i will take it on its merits and judge it as it is.

i take your point, i think it was a bit beautiful without loads else, but this time there was a message about grief and allowing yourself to drift away into dreams and grief and so on, to repair or realise the way forwards (hence "you cant wake up if you dont fall asleep").

on your last point i disagree, you can be artistic alone if you want, it is completely up to the film-maker. You dont have to be at Sundance to produce a beautiful bit of art, look at the 100s of 'world' cinema films (i dont like that term) that are produced for arts sake. Granted they dont get far financially/commercially, but it is enough on its own, if that's what you want to produce.

well i dont mind a film being art or entertainment, or a mixture of both, i will take it on its merits and judge it as it is.

i take your point, i think it was a bit beautiful without loads else, but this time there was a message about grief and allowing yourself to drift away into dreams and grief and so on, to repair or realise the way forwards (hence "you cant wake up if you dont fall asleep").

on your last point i disagree, you can be artistic alone if you want, it is completely up to the film-maker. You dont have to be at Sundance to produce a beautiful bit of art, look at the 100s of 'world' cinema films (i dont like that term) that are produced for arts sake. Granted they dont get far financially/commercially, but it is enough on its own, if that's what you want to produce.
I don’t disagree, if the film can get the green light from the producers with the view that it’s probably not going to be a commercial success then good for them. All I was pointing out was that it’s not going to appeal to the vast majority of cinema goers and maybe it isn’t designed to. That of course doesn’t mean artistic films shouldn’t exist, they absolutely have their place.
Would I recommend those that want an entertainment element to view it, probably not.

I don’t disagree, if the film can get the green light from the producers with the view that it’s probably not going to be a commercial success then good for them. All I was pointing out was that it’s not going to appeal to the vast majority of cinema goers and maybe it isn’t designed to. That of course doesn’t mean artistic films shouldn’t exist, they absolutely have their place.
Would I recommend those that want an entertainment element to view it, probably not.
Yep, agreed on that

Went to see the new mission impossible last night.

Overall it’s good. Definitely has the right tone, doesn’t take itself too seriously but still has incredibly effective action scenes and the fact everyone knows Cruise is doing the stunts himself does add to the action.

A few good female characters too, not damsels in distress or 1 dimensional.

My only gripe is that it’s too long, I don’t like Action films broken up into 2 parts - seriously we didnt need 6 hours split over 2 films 3 or 4 years apart to resolve this storyline.

Oh the only thing that really annoyed me in terms of plot holes was
that at the end they’re on a coal train, they make a really big deal of it. Show us the coal store, show us the furnace, name it as the orient express - but Gabriel kills both the driver and shovelers. No one has shovelled fuel into the coal powered train for hours and it just keeps going full speed towards doom.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.