Last Film You Saw

Imagine hating on Christopher Nolan films? Mad one that.
Well, as much as I like some of his movies, he can be overly tricksy and bombastic. Interstellar, for example, after a brilliant start, just fell apart at the end. He's like the Muse of movie directors.

Just finished The Deepest Breath on Netflix. Documentary about free divers - folks who just dive down as far as they can in the sea simply holding their breath. Captivating storyline behind it and fascinating introduction for me to a sport I knew little about. Some very tense scenes though as you watch these people sink further and further under the surface, it almost makes you hold your breath along with them.

Oppenheimer. Very bad. I should admit I qualify as a near Nolan hater — it’s what being tortured by all his movies all these years has done to me. He made this one for all the wrong (political, historical and ethical) reasons, which explains why the writing is bad prestige tv level from start to finish. To make it all the more unbearable, he cast a parade of movie stars in every role that all try to out act each other with every line of dialogue; very few come out of this unscathed (Matt Damon survives the most, I’s say). One of the Safdie brothers (whom I’m a fan of — as directors) really embarrasses himself in this.

Nolan got sucked into his own world of self loving opinion, demanding things from studios and cinemas in order to subject the world to his 'vision of superb film making'.

He's made one well thought out, superb film in "Memento". He got super lucky with "The Dark Knight" (after skinning and mishmashing comic lore with his own 'world view') due to the extraordinary brilliance of the late Heath Ledger who carried the entire film, a half decent film in "Inception" and the navelgazing "Interstellar" which every so-called intellectual nerd and lovvie induced film critic needed to be in on the 'Nolan Experience'.

That's two in an entire career that's watchable. He reminds me of the inexplicable pull Wes Anderson has where so-called 'A' Listers will make an appearance in their films if requested upon.

I try to be objective with Nolan, but he cannot tell a story because he gets in his own way too much.

Oppenheimer. Very bad. I should admit I qualify as a near Nolan hater — it’s what being tortured by all his movies all these years has done to me. He made this one for all the wrong (political, historical and ethical) reasons, which explains why the writing is bad prestige tv level from start to finish. To make it all the more unbearable, he cast a parade of movie stars in every role that all try to out act each other with every line of dialogue; very few come out of this unscathed (Matt Damon survives the most, I’s say). One of the Safdie brothers (whom I’m a fan of — as directors) really embarrasses himself in this.
Was going to go today…….

Just finished The Deepest Breath on Netflix. Documentary about free divers - folks who just dive down as far as they can in the sea simply holding their breath. Captivating storyline behind it and fascinating introduction for me to a sport I knew little about. Some very tense scenes though as you watch these people sink further and further under the surface, it almost makes you hold your breath along with them.
Thanks for heads up…..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.