Last Film You Saw

If you told me back then that we could have thousands of films on demand within seconds, some straight from the cinema, on a small portable device on the move or on a giant tv with crystal clear picture, no tape or disc, I would have thought wow, that sounds incredible.

Now that we have it, Im not sure I want it. There was just something special about going to the videostore to finaly get my hands on that copy of Cliffhanger thats been rented out by others every night for the past 6 weeeks.

Or maybe its just nostalgia and a yearning to be 13 again.
There's a few reasons for it, in my opinion:

1) Nostalgia, as you suggest. Nothing more to be said there;

2) The paradox of choice. This is a well-known thing where too many options makes us uneasy. Hence, scrolling through Netflix and there being 1000s of things available, and we can't choose one. I have this difficulty when I try to pick out one of the thousands of new shows or films to watch;

3) The disposable and invisible nature of streaming, or video-on-demand. When you can access something with a click, rather than a ritual of going to buy it, it just seems less of an event in general. I do still enjoy it, but like you it isn't as incredible as it would have seemed in the 90s. Earlier this year I seriously started collecting blu rays and 4k discs, and that has made some of my film watching more worthwhile - the ritual of placing a tangible, physical disc into a player makes the film seem (and look and sound) better and more authentic, and it just seems to beat streaming in the sense of something being an event.

But, of course, streaming is good too. But I also get why plenty of people would find it empty and - as I said - disposable.

Will always be in my top 10 first of all time.

The scene where he arrives where his new wife has just had her throat slit is one of the best scenes in cinematic history.

Absolutely epic battle scenes, a proper 9/10
Will always be in my top 10 films of all time.

The scene where he arrives where his new wife has just had her throat slit is one of the best scenes in cinematic history.

Absolutely epic battle scenes, a proper 9/10 film.

Great film. Dodgy accents have never put me off a film, as long as the film is good.
I just couldn’t take to Mel Gibson I thought it should have been a real Scotsman playing the role.

It's an older movie but watched American Psycho for the first time this week. Christian Bale is very good in it and I enjoyed the movie. Bale and the audience both suffering from a lack of catharsis at the end
I love the book but there is a set piece involving rats and a drainpipe that is seriously demented

The Union.

Mark Wahlberg's latest. I normally like his films but this was pure shite.
Just going to post the same, I just can’t buy into Halle Berry or any other woman as a kick ass spy, sorry love but any bloke with an ounce of muscle is going to put you on your arse. Netflix seem to churn out these formulaic films now and they are nearly all shite. 3/10 from me.
@Silva 83 i know what you mean about collecting but I sold all,my old blu rays and collect via iTunes, I’ve hundreds of films at the click of a button an no storage problems. I went from hundreds of vhs to hundreds of dvds then Blu-rays I decided the jump to 4k I’d just go digital and at a fraction of the cost.

Just going to post the same, I just can’t buy into Halle Berry or any other woman as a kick ass spy, sorry love but any bloke with an ounce of muscle is going to put you on your arse. Netflix seem to churn out these formulaic films now and they are nearly all shite. 3/10 from me.
@Silva 83 i know what you mean about collecting but I sold all,my old blu rays and collect via iTunes, I’ve hundreds of films at the click of a button an no storage problems. I went from hundreds of vhs to hundreds of dvds then Blu-rays I decided the jump to 4k I’d just go digital and at a fraction of the cost.
Yes I understand that. Digital has many conveniences in terms of accessibility and storage.

Was going to ask for opinions on "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare". Decided to try a search, and opinion seems to be generally favourable. Worth a look, then?
Harmless, fun - If you ever have the time would recommend Giles Miltons '' Churchills Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" - great book which tells how a bunch of oddballs, upper class twits and psychos all got together.......

Twisters actress being Daisy Edgar-Jones? She's seriously beautiful (though I have saw some people call her 'plain' - probably because she looks like a normal girl next door and isn't caked in loads of make up all the time).

She's really good in a film called 'Where the Crawdads Sing' - look into that.

Attachments

• DEJ.jpg
    DEJ.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 20

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.