Last Film You Saw

Room - 8/10. uses quite brutal surroundings to get right to the heart of how important imagination can be to a child. a really moving and profound film with some great central performances from Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay.

"Beasts of no Nation".

Very good film and whilst not superb (as it lulls a little here and there), it does invoke some reminder from me that my mother escaped the Biafran War that claimed her brother's/ my Uncle's life.

Elba grows into the role, from a shaky accent in the beginning with tinges of cockney tones drifting through. But, he holds solidly onto the overtones of West African rhythm as the films goes on. Unless you've been around a group of West Africans, you won't know that his punctuations of 'aahs' and 'eh' in his speech to the soldiers are accurate as it denotes a tribalism that compellingly draws in the listener to agreement! It's something I heard a lot as a child amongst my mother and her friends and no doubt Elba draws upon his father's influence here.

His character is charismatic and he drives the film well, but Abraham Attah and Emmanuel Nii Adom Quaye are the real stars as 'Agu' and 'Strika'.

Very difficult to understand how this film is ignored by Hollywood, even based on the flimsy 'merit' excuse I've read on these boards.

Over the last couple of weeks have seen;
Interstellar - about some bloke going into space. Apart from not being able to decipher the dialogue, I haven't a clue what the film's about:(
American Sniper - quite a good film. Quite true to the book as I recall.
The Killing Fields - excellent film. Last seen when first released and still stood the test of time. My interest rekindled after friend described her visit to Phnom Penh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.