Last Film You Saw

The Thing.

Can't believe I hadn't seen this classic until recently. Great film.

TangerineSteve17 said:
xenon_ said:
The Thing.

Can't believe I hadn't seen this classic until recently. Great film.

Hope you mean the original. That scene where Kurt is trying to find out who is "The Thing" is classic.

Oh my word, what a scene! Shit was intense. When they're all tied up together and then one of starts transforming, haha, fucking quality

Godzilla, interesting, liked the approach of building up to the reveal as otherwise it turns into Transformers, just bashing everything for 2 hours which is boring. Also liked the story behind the monsters and giving it a purpose, and how they carried on in spite of all the attempted human intervention.

There were a few weak points though. The script for the human story fell away after Cranston died, it just became a series of plot devices to get Taylor-Johnson to the climax, and the dialogue through of a lot of it was wooden and fell flat. I know Elizabeth Olsen is a fine actress but none of them were able to come across as anything special, which for me is scripting problems. Also I found the leads as parents to be a bit too young and thus it seemed a bit far-fetched imo, I enjoyed where the story went from a monsters perspective, but from a human perspective it did just feel like it was cobbled together to sort of fit and as a result it didn't really work or enthrall me.

Also I disliked the fact that apparently it all had to happen at night, bar the rare scenes with the action in daylight it's just too dark, I know it makes Atomic Breath and explosions cooler, but it would be nice for a bit of balance, fear of the unknown has to be teamed with the ability to see, once you've revealed your creatures there's no need to go back to covering them in darkness unless it has a purpose i.e. the Alien.

Still, I liked the idea of the film, I liked what Gareth Edwards was trying to do but I think the execution was lacking, and the script for the human side was utterly forgettable after the death of Cranston's character, despite a talented cast. He's inexperienced as a mainstream director though so hopefully he can build on it, as I think he made Godzilla and his world about as interesting as you can do in a modern context, far better than "AHH! monster! bang, bang, bang! the end". I also liked how, unlike Man of Steel, Edwards approached the issue of collateral damage and human cost etc. throughout the film, as a hark back almost to the damage caused by the US through the nuclear bombs upon Japan.

All in all, decent, promising but a lot of room for improvement and fine-tuning in future films.

Cheap Thrills. Urban legend storyline fleshed out and taken to the extreme. It's insane!
Dark, funny and twisted. Loved it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.