Last occasion when City got a 60,000 + home attendance

Well according to City History, the answer is 1971 for this:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=2923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... px?id=2923</a>

The Huddersfield game was one of several I took the prospective Mrs Foot to at the time and she wore blue ear muffs bless her and was no doubt looking forward to being bored shitless. I splashed out on main stand tickets especially and had to forgo my season ticket in the kippax.
Think the reason most remember this as a night game is it was in November and the floodlights were on at half time and it was dark outside by the time the game finished.

Now sadly the ex Mrs Foot. To be fair she came to a derby match with me at OT and sat in K stand and witnessed what cunts they really are for herself and has at least been a blue since. lol

Blue Streak said:
And yet those crowds of 17-19k etc were quite high compared to some others in the country at the time. Leeds often had 11-12k for home games, Chelsea pulled regular crowds of around 8,000 and even a Birmingham derby at Villa Park was played infront of around 11,000 at the time. Football had gone through a truly dark period. Only really the Rags, Everton, Liverpool and Spurs could only get more than 30k on a regular basis. Even Arsenal struggled at times.

You are right about our gates being quite high at the time. I used to have an analysis of every clubs LOWEST LEAGUE ATTENDANCE during
the '80s and the results were staggering. I remember United were top with 23,000, followed by Liverpool with 17,000 and then City with
15,000 (the Millwall game), Arsenal were fourth with 13,000. Spurs, Everton & Newcastle were in the 7-9,000 range.They really
were dark days. What is interesting is that our attendance was recorded in the Second Division where as most of the other big clubs
were in the First Division. If I can find the paper with the full analysis I'll post more detailed information.

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Blue Streak said:
And yet those crowds of 17-19k etc were quite high compared to some others in the country at the time. Leeds often had 11-12k for home games, Chelsea pulled regular crowds of around 8,000 and even a Birmingham derby at Villa Park was played infront of around 11,000 at the time. Football had gone through a truly dark period. Only really the Rags, Everton, Liverpool and Spurs could only get more than 30k on a regular basis. Even Arsenal struggled at times.

You are right about our gates being quite high at the time. I used to have an analysis of every clubs LOWEST LEAGUE ATTENDANCE during
the '80s and the results were staggering. I remember United were top with 23,000, followed by Liverpool with 17,000 and then City with
15,000 (the Millwall game), Arsenal were fourth with 13,000. Spurs, Everton & Newcastle were in the 7-9,000 range.They really
were dark days. What is interesting is that our attendance was recorded in the Second Division where as most of the other big clubs
were in the First Division. If I can find the paper with the full analysis I'll post more detailed information.

Of course, at that time United were the only club to count missing ticket holders in their attendances (pretty well everyone does it now). I remember that the figure actually present at the United v Wimbledon game made the press just afterwards. I can't recall now what the exact number was, but it was certainly well below 20K.

Incidentally, just to be a pedant - the 15,430 against Millwall wasn't the lowest home league gate in 1987/8. There was one that was lower - the 15,172 we drew for a 2-0 win against Reading on Easter Monday: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... px?id=3762</a> - I was born in 1969, and that gate against Reading is the lowest home league attendance in my lifetime (lowest since the dark pre-Mercer/Allison days of 1963/4 of 1964/5, I'm pretty sure).

I'm glad that people are making the point about our gates in this period being decent relative to other clubs, because you get the occasional simpleton on here who, when someone talks about City being well supported through our hard times in the 1980s and 1990s, brings up these figures to dispute the fact. You can root around this site for all kinds of proof that our crowds help up pretty well, all things considered: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm</a>

In 1987/8, our average crowd was 19,472 in a season during which we finished in what at the time was our second lowest league position in the twentieth century. Villa were in the same division that year and got promoted, yet their average was only 18,172 (the previous season, when both teams were relegated from the top flight, we pulled in 21,922 on average while Villa's figure dipped below 16K). The First Division average in the same campaign was around 19,200 - in other words, lower than our crowds in what was a pretty terrible season results-wise in relation to the club's historical standards.

I remember when we played Forest in a League Cup tie in the October of that season (we played superbly to beat them 3-0 and Eric Nixon saved a Stuart Pearce penalty). Forest were third in the top flight when we played them, the game taking place three days after we drew at home to Barnsley in front of 17,063. I remember Brian Clough in the run up to the game talking about what a fantastic support we had to get a crowd like that when we were in the lower half of the old Second Divison. Forest's previous home gate had been in the region of 12K.

Chelsea, meanwhile, between the mid-seventies and mid-nineties had an average that dipped below 20K nine times in two decades. Yes, they spent a few seasons in Division Two (as was) in the seventies and eighties, but their gates held up nothing like as well as ours did after our various relegations in the eighties and nineties.

So these figures may look low when you see them against a backdrop of today's crowds. However, put in context, our attendance record really isn't bad at all.

It's funny how your memory can play tricks on you. When I looked up the Boxing Day match against Everton in 1968, I was astonished to find that there were only 53,549 at Maine Road that day. I thought it'd be about 65,000, i.e. absolute capacity. I mention it because I was standing on the Kippax for that one, and I swear I've never known such a crush. At one point — I'm not bullshitting on this — I was able to lift both feet off the ground! The blokes on either side of me were completely crushed against my shoulders. Now it's true I was that skinny in those days that if I turned sideways I would have been invisible, but still!
If my memory still isn't tricking me, it was a freezing day, about 10° celsius below — but boiling hot on the Kippax. Joe Royle had a cracker of a game, and I remember thinking, "I'd like him here". Anyone else on this forum at that game?

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
It's funny how your memory can play tricks on you. When I looked up the Boxing Day match against Everton in 1968, I was astonished to find that there were only 53,549 at Maine Road that day. I thought it'd be about 65,000, i.e. absolute capacity. I mention it because I was standing on the Kippax for that one, and I swear I've never known such a crush. At one point — I'm not bullshitting on this — I was able to lift both feet off the ground! The blokes on either side of me were completely crushed against my shoulders. Now it's true I was that skinny in those days that if I turned sideways I would have been invisible, but still!
If my memory still isn't tricking me, it was a freezing day, about 10° celsius below — but boiling hot on the Kippax. Joe Royle had a cracker of a game, and I remember thinking, "I'd like him here". Anyone else on this forum at that game?

Yeah I was in the Platt Lane for that one, where it was bloody freezing and seemed half-full of Scousers! I remember being optimistic before the match (as ever!) because we'd had a few thumping home wins previously including the 7-0 against Burnley. On the day though Everton were a class above us, no surprise that they won the title the following season. The match where I recall thinking the ground looked really packed was the Newcastle Cup replay in February that season, offically just over 60,000 but it looked fuller than a couple of derbies around that time which had 63,000 crowds.

On the subject of low attendances in the late 80s, I was working with a rag S/T holder at the time of that Wimbledon game and he swore blind that there were no more than 17/18,000 at the game, certainly well short of the official attendance.

Chelsea should never take the piss out of anyone for low attendances after recording a home attendance of just over 10,000 for a Monday night Sky game against City in I think it was 93/94, it was bloody cold at that game too and they needed the 5 or 600 City fans to tip the crowd over 10,000.

Ric said:
Here's a list of City's top 100 attendances:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Top100Attendances.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... ances.aspx</a>

Interesting that list. was at the Everton(replay) in March 1956 - jammed packed - down 1-0 at half-time but City came back to win 2-1. Joe hayes scored in the second half. Was clearing out a drawer the other day and I still have the Huddersfield 10-1 ticket.
Question for anyone : I am sure that City vs. Utd at Maine Road - probably 1960/61 - not sure - but Dennis Law was playing for City - the game was washed out at half-time with the score 2-2 - massive thunderstorm. I am sure the Pink said the attendance was 72,000 plus. Can anyone confirm?.
It is not on the list of 100 attendances at Maine road - probably because match abandoned.!

I assume that a rag started this thread

they probably have bigger floodlights

and a bigger pitch

bless 'em

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.