Leeds away Fa Cup 1977/78

Remember Joe's save well. Leeds fans were already jumping up to celebrate when Joe twisted in mid air to stop the ball.
Think it was this game as well where the police opened the exit straight after the final whistle then shut it again after about 200 of us had gone through it.
Very nasty going under the motorway and back to the coach park with a few blades being waved around too.

Another FA cup battle. City v spuds 1993

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxO8IJ9D8BA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxO8IJ9D8BA</a>

Was this the game where two Leeds players had a go at each other ? Oh the ref on that day if memory serves me, was a bloke called Colin Seal. Said he wouldn't stop the game no matter how long it took. Then again at my age memories play tricks. Anyone see my back heel at the swamp ?

I was there coach got bricked on the motorway going home in through the side window out through the back can never make out why someone didn't lose their head. Oh what fun

I seem to recall being at Leeds in the league in December 1977 and losing. After getting back to the coach the FA Cup draw for the 3rd round took place and we drew them away for three weeks later.
I'm sure the Floral Dance was played and remember the City fans bouncing up and down. A great day out.

Leeds fans were complete animals in those days but so many City supporters went back to the car park together that you could find safety in numbers Main memory of the game was the invasion.

DavidM said:
I seem to recall being at Leeds in the league in December 1977 and losing. After getting back to the coach the FA Cup draw for the 3rd round took place and we drew them away for three weeks later.
I'm sure the Floral Dance was played and remember the City fans bouncing up and down. A great day out.
Every time we played there they played that song , I was behind the goal next to the home fans with me dad and grandad , funny thing tho their fans in there were alright what I can remember

ccr said:
Was this the game where two Leeds players had a go at each other ? Oh the ref on that day if memory serves me, was a bloke called Colin Seal. Said he wouldn't stop the game no matter how long it took. Then again at my age memories play tricks. Anyone see my back heel at the swamp ?

You're correct, the Ref that day was indeed Colin Seel, from Carlisle.
When he retired he went on to do a lot of match summarising on local radio up here in Cumbria. I recall him talking about it on the radio a few years ago and he said that was the most difficult situation he'd ever been in as a Ref. He added that he was willing to empty the stadium and stay until midnight if it meant that was the only way to finish the match.

I was standing on the Lowfields Road terrace and they locked us in after the game. All that did was allow the Leeds fans to get round and hurl bricks at us from outside. It was unbelievable.

There was about 4 car-loads of us went across from Manchester and we ended up afterwards in the Greyhound pub, in Tong Village. We always called in there after the Leeds matches as it was a cracking pint of Tetleys. That day there was a wedding reception on which was slightly tarnished by about 20 of us Blues barging in !

If my memory serves me correctly Colin Bell played that day in a sweeper role.
Obviously he'd lost a lot of his mobility but he could still do a job in that position.

Went to this game, always remember the Corrigan save. MOTD back then used to have a save of the season comp and it was always a big deal to me and my mates at school...I remember being gutted when big Joe lost out to Stepney...sure it was a save against us at Maine road that won it.

DavidM said:
I remember that one well too. I'd gone to the game with my city-supporting pal who lived in Leeds and was staying over with him. We therefore had to walk back to Leeds with all their fans. I had my transistor radio with me as I always did to hear the scores and, on this occasion, to listen to the Cup draw. I had hundreds of Leeds fans round me as the draw was read out and it came out "Leeds United will play Manchester City". I nearly forgot myself and was about to say "Oh fuck we've got to come back here" when I remembered where I was and said "Oh fuck we've got.......City again".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.