Leeds v City FA Cup 78

Bluesince1979

Just going through YouTube vids and came across this gem of a game. 3rd round of the Cup and what looks to be thousands of blues there. Two things struck me:

1) what a great city team that was. I was 4 in 78 so don't remember obviously but Corrigan, Clements,power, Watson, booth(?), bell, Hartford, Owen, Barnes, Tueart, Kidd! Wow.

2) was Leeds still a shit scary place even though there was what looked like 10000 city fans there? The Leeds fans in this game invaded the pitch at 2-0 down! Thousands of em in there flares!!

Clubs used to get 25% of the capacity in the FA cup back then. I remember us having 14K at old traffd

I was 16 and we parked away from ground on walk back to car a guy wound his window down and said hide your scarves, went around corner and loads of Leeds fans looking for cars with City fans in to brick! close call.

Huge civil disorder after the game, the road past the Peacock & dog track to the coaches was a war zone, maybe the worst I've ever seen, blues were getting kicked all over the place then as we went under the bridge 100's of blues had assembled on the banking and as Leeds came through they got their comuppence. A mad day.

blue b4 the moon said:
...All people moaning about crowd bother these days would have never gone to another game after that.
A truly fucking horrible place. Went to the league game there a year or two after (1-1, a late Kiddo equaliser), and it was the nearest I got to a severe twatting. As it was , I got a couple of clips for my sins. And I couldn't punch my way out of a wet paper bag (still can't!).

marcus said:
1) what a great city team that was. I was 4 in 78 so don't remember obviously but Corrigan, Clements,power, Watson, booth(?), bell, Hartford, Owen, Barnes, Tueart, Kidd! Wow.
Thank Allison (aided by Swales). He set about breaking up that side, a side which came within a point of winning the league the season before ('76-'77). His return was an unmitigated disaster, and damn near broke the club.

bluemoon27 said:
Is this the game Corrigan made that save what they compared to banksy`s
no I think it was the season before, Trevor cherry got the winner, I was there that was one of the best saves I have ever seen, the next save was dragging my mate over a fence when about 50 Leeds were trying to kick the shit out of him in the ground. It was the qtr final if we had won we would have played Trafford in the semi, played really well that day tueart headed just wide near the end ?

Can't believe it hasn't been posted yet!
Love the Harvey / McQueen punch up
I think the reasoning for the Leeds fans invasion was a year or two before, Newcastle were 3 down at home to Forest in the cup, invaded the pitch and won 4-3. Forest complained to the FA and the game was ordered to be played again which Newcastle won....... so maybe Leeds fans thought they had nothing to lose....
I remember watching Grandstand as a 14 year old and Frank Bough went over to the game live during the pitch invasion and the referee came out with a microphone and told the Leeds fans that under no circumstances would the game be abandoned - to a huge roar from City fans
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3YfKuVHgxs[/youtube]

What a day that was! I'd gone over with some friends but was meeting two other mates who lived in Leeds. One was a Leeds fan and the other a blue so we had seats together in the main stand. Afterwards, the City fans were kept in which just gave the Leeds fans time to get round from their end.

I had to walk back to the car so took my time as I didn't want to get caught on the car park on my own. I had my scarf well concealed round my waist under my jumper so wasn't bothered. As I walked past the City end, there was a hail of missiles going both ways and I just kept my head down and kept walking. A few minutes later they let the City fans out and there was a huge charge. The Leeds fans ran in the same direction I was going and behind them there were hundreds of Blues chasing them. The Leeds fans all ran past me but then I realised I was likely to get a kicking from the Blues. So I quickly had to retrieve my scarf and waved it around as the Blue horde got to me.

Just a normal away trip to Leeds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.