Leeds v City FA Cup 78

that game was the worst i've seen/been in at a football game. we was stood in the lowfields side and when the game finished made our way to get out, a group of leeds fans was in that part of the ground and giving it large when more city fans was also trying to get out, all but 1 leeds fan legged it this 1 leeds fan got a right beating. walked towards the car park and leeds fans was next to the chippy other side of the road and when a couple of double decker buses went in between the two sets of fans there was bottles flying both ways. leeds fans was in the greyhound stadium and waiting for city, but hundreds of city went after them, city fans came out but didn't see any leeds fans. back on M62 driving home thought we was safe as we was going to Doncaster put scarfs out of window and a car load of leeds tried to ram my car,only trouble is my car was a very old Cortina so I went to ram them.the look on there faces as I nearly put them into the barriers

First away game. Eye opener for a 7 year old. Sat in the Main stand and when leaving the ground a Leeds fan told us to hide our scarves.

Great memories if the Joe Corrigan rugby tackle and the ref insisting that the game wouldn't get abandoned.

I was there.

It was revenge for the cup defeat the season before.

At the end of the match the City fans were kept inside and while we were waiting inside the gate Leeds fans outside were chucking bricks and bottles over the wall.

Once out of the ground the walk back to the city centre was uneventful.

Leeds fans were always more bark than bite.

urmston said:
I was there.

It was revenge for the cup defeat the season before.

At the end of the match the City fans were kept inside and while we were waiting inside the gate Leeds fans outside were chucking bricks and bottles over the wall.

Once out of the ground the walk back to the city centre was uneventful.

Leeds fans were always more bark than bite.

Leeds were always brave when they had numbers and odds stacked in their favour.

When odds were even they never bothered

We played Leeds 4 times in 2 seasons at Elland Road. As so often happens the cup result was the exact opposite to the league fixture. The previous season, we came away with a 2-0 win in the league, but, lost in the cup to an 86th minute Trevor Cherry winner. The following year, we were well turned over, 3-0 in the league fixture, but gained revenge in the cup. I went to all 4 of these matches, but, managed to avoid trouble. Think you were safer on a coach than using British Rail. My really vivid memory (can't believe nobody has mentioned it) was during the pitch invasion, Gary Owen running over to the City fans in the side paddock, and, using his hands to signal to keep calm and stay where you are. Bravo Gary, common sense at a critical moment. I also remember bricks and stones raining down on us from outside the ground after the final whistle. West Yorkshire Inbreds, always have been, always will be. Great result for Rochdale against them last weekend. Check the YouTube footage of the Inbreds turning on their own team after the match. Neanderthals !

Amazing footage, was that one of our biggest travelling support outside cup semis/finals?

What a day that was! I'd gone over with some friends but was meeting two other mates who lived in Leeds. One was a Leeds fan and the other a blue so we had seats together in the main stand. Afterwards, the City fans were kept in which just gave the Leeds fans time to get round from their end.

I had to walk back to the car so took my time as I didn't want to get caught on the car park on my own. I had my scarf well concealed round my waist under my jumper so wasn't bothered. As I walked past the City end, there was a hail of missiles going both ways and I just kept my head down and kept walking. A few minutes later they let the City fans out and there was a huge charge. The Leeds fans ran in the same direction I was going and behind them there were hundreds of Blues chasing them. The Leeds fans all ran past me but then I realised I was likely to get a kicking from the Blues. So I quickly had to retrieve my scarf and waved it around as the Blue horde got to me.

Just a normal away trip to Leeds.
Hi Colin or anyone else who can remember. I’m discussing the Jan Cup 78 Cup tie at Elland Road on another forum. I’ve told the Leeds fans that the guy Joe Corrigan rugby tackled was a Blue. Can anyone remember if that’s true and do you have any more details. I seem to think the Blue was from Cheetham Hill or Prestwich but I could well be wrong. Thanks

Worst I've been to any game in 50 years of supporting city, absolutely mayhem from start to finish. On the coaches back to Manchester we're nearly all bricked from the bridges over the M62. Can't remember seeing so many fights at a football match before or since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.