Leeds v City FA Cup 78

Just going through YouTube vids and came across this gem of a game. 3rd round of the Cup and what looks to be thousands of blues there. Two things struck me:

1) what a great city team that was. I was 4 in 78 so don't remember obviously but Corrigan, Clements,power, Watson, booth(?), bell, Hartford, Owen, Barnes, Tueart, Kidd! Wow.

2) was Leeds still a shit scary place even though there was what looked like 10000 city fans there? The Leeds fans in this game invaded the pitch at 2-0 down! Thousands of em in there flares!!

The answer is yes.

And the answer is yes.

(Was there. Was living and working in London at the time, so caught the train up from Euston. Or maybe Kings Cross? It's a long time ago…).

Blagged a ticket in the Maine stand towards their kop,coincidentally amongst several other City fans.

When they ran on the pitch an OB chased one of them towards where I was sitting and he dived over about five rows of seats landing amongst us.

Big chap next to me forced him down twixt the rows and stood on him whilst everyone kicked and rained punches down on him.

The guy on the other side of me wore a nice coat and seemed a nice quietish type....his fists we’re going like pistons.

The twat couldn’t get out and got a real good hiding.

I remember leeds fans near by shouting “hooligans” at us.

Fucking ironic !!

Before the game we were in the chippy on ER and Leeds and City fans were scrapping on the forecourt.

Chippy owner decided to try and lock the door just as a leeds fan was trying to get in.

The soppy **** fell on his back half in half out and the owner is slamming the door on his ribs.

My mate decided to assist, poured the contents of a salt bottle into his face followed by a bottle of Samson’s finest malt vinegar.

Oh the screams !!

Under the bridge by the coach park was tasty after the game.....hundreds going at it toe to toe,backwards and forwards.

I think it was the biggest and longest brawl I’d ever seen.

A mad day amongst so many mad days.

Remember getting home from the Leeds away league game only for my father to say , you`ll be going back . City have drawn them in the cup ! Thankfully i went on the coach for this game rather than the train as it was like Zulu Dawn getting back to the station that day . God knows how bad it was for the blues getting back to the station that day . Does anyone remember the crush in the standing section before the game ? Shouting at the coppers and stewards to open up another section for us . Obviously the pitch invasion but also the long blue on the pitch ready to take on the Leeds fans single handedly , only for Gary Owen to husher him back into the stand and safety . And the white bricks and blocks coming over into the compound outside the ground . All in all though a great day and made up for our FA Cup defeat there in 77 .

Clubs used to get 25% of the capacity in the FA cup back then. I remember us having 14K at old traffd
Don't think the 25,% rule applied that far back as all clubs used to give decent away allowances

The 25% probably started late 80s when certain clubs started to take the piss to obtain more home advantage

77 mate not 87,also when we went back following season 78 in the cup and won 2-1 sure it was seated behind goals.But the 77 game was defiantly standing also I was at the boxing day league game 76 2-0 win Kidd got both.
We are on about two different games here. We had 14k at old Trafford in 87 but then then conversation turned to Leeds in 77.

i was at this game as a very young teenager.
I was there as a very old teenager of 30. I was a corporate guest in the posh seats. There was a real argy-bargy over the smoked salmon and a major dispute concerning the prawn sandwiches. Settled amicably by a champers drinking contest. I heard the peasants were a bit lively that day but a charge by the police horses soon quelled them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.