Left Back

I think Lescott isn't that good
he is a decent player that's all

but I think he should sign someone if Kolo isn't available

chris90 said:
id go for phil jones at blackburn...i feel lescott has been great since he came into the team but i just feel jones has potential to be a world class cb.

I agree with this! I also think we desperately need a left back, if we go into the new season with Kolarov as our first choice left back then he is going to have to improve sooooo much for us to challenge for the title and/or a decent run in the CL. I'm all for giving players a chance but it takes an enormous leap of faith to imagine Kolarov becoming a really good left back in the next few months.

Lancet Fluke said:
chris90 said:
id go for phil jones at blackburn...i feel lescott has been great since he came into the team but i just feel jones has potential to be a world class cb.

I agree with this! I also think we desperately need a left back, if we go into the new season with Kolarov as our first choice left back then he is going to have to improve sooooo much for us to challenge for the title and/or a decent run in the CL. I'm all for giving players a chance but it takes an enormous leap of faith to imagine Kolarov becoming a really good left back in the next few months.
A bigger leap than believing Lescott would come good?

taconinja said:
Lancet Fluke said:
chris90 said:

Yes, definitely. Well I always rated Lescott before we signed him so although I was pretty unimpressed by him for quite a while since signing, I at least knew he had it in him somewhere to perform in the Prem. It isn't the same situation as Lescott though. Crucially, we have generally had other centre backs either ahead of Lescott or capable of filling in for him when he was in poor form. If we don't sign a left back (and presumably let Bridge go) then we are totally relying on Kolarov to improve massively or we will end up muddling through with centre backs and right backs playing in his position again. I'm not saying he can't do it just that if he is effectively our only genuine left back we are completely at the mercy of him improving massively which even the most optimistic supporter wouldn't guarantee, would they?

Lancet Fluke said:
taconinja said:
Lancet Fluke said:

Yes, definitely. Well I always rated Lescott before we signed him so although I was pretty unimpressed by him for quite a while since signing, I at least knew he had it in him somewhere to perform in the Prem. It isn't the same situation as Lescott though. Crucially, we have generally had other centre backs either ahead of Lescott or capable of filling in for him when he was in poor form. If we don't sign a left back (and presumably let Bridge go) then we are totally relying on Kolarov to improve massively or we will end up muddling through with centre backs and right backs playing in his position again. I'm not saying he can't do it just that if he is effectively our only genuine left back we are completely at the mercy of him improving massively which even the most optimistic supporter wouldn't guarantee, would they?
I put it down more to the injury than anything else, and he looks as if he's finally recovered. We do need someone to slot in if Boateng leaves. Otherwise, we have plenty of people capable plus if we sign Vertonghen, he can play LB as well.

taconinja said:
Lancet Fluke said:
taconinja said:

I put it down more to the injury than anything else, and he looks as if he's finally recovered. We do need someone to slot in if Boateng leaves. Otherwise, we have plenty of people capable plus if we sign Vertonghen, he can play LB as well.

Looks way too slow to me. If that's down to an injury fair enough but otherwise, I think he'll struggle because he doesn't seem to read the game well enough defensively to make up for his lack of pace. Personally I like to see full backs with enough pace to get up and down the pitch effectively. I'd like us to go for Gibbs or Assou Ekotto to give him some competition. I don't think having two left backs is too much.

ban-mcfc said:
nothing wrong with lescott, hes been class. CB not needed IMO.

Yes we most certainly do. Lescott hasnt been playing in the Champ League, he always has a mistake in him and you cant afford that at that level. He got away with the one against Stoke - when hopelessly wrong side of Jones.

Kolarov and Toure just arent good enough and nor, im afraid is Boyata.

We need to move to the next level and whilst those named have got us to 3rd place we need to move on. Mancini knows that too - which is why he's after both a CB & Left back..........................strenghtening there also may release a holding midfield player so we can be more offensive?

Lancet Fluke said:
taconinja said:
Lancet Fluke said:

Looks way too slow to me. If that's down to an injury fair enough but otherwise, I think he'll struggle because he doesn't seem to read the game well enough defensively to make up for his lack of pace. Personally I like to see full backs with enough pace to get up and down the pitch effectively. I'd like us to go for Gibbs or Assou Ekotto to give him some competition. I don't think having two left backs is too much.
No offense but Assou Ekotto? No, I'm afraid not.

taconinja said:
Lancet Fluke said:
taconinja said:

No offense but Assou Ekotto? No, I'm afraid not.

Can only go on what I see and he looks good every time I see him. Fast and strong, a good box to box full back imo. Much better than baines (and Kolarov) imo although I realise the general consensus seems to be that Baines is a better player. Gibbs would be a great signing if we could get him and keep him fit but I suspect he will be Arsenal's first choice left back next season.

I personally think Kolarov is showing signs of being more than good enough. He offers tireless running and is a constant out ball on the left. His crossing is good, as good as any full back, yes his shooting is erratic, name me an attacking full backs who's isn't.
His free kicks have been and are dangerous as are his corners.
Remember he has only really been available for half the season, and has improved a lot come the spring.
I hear people asking about his ability to defend in big games or against top opposition. Well I give you his performance in the derby at Wembley. He was absolutely rock solid, and valuable going forward. Throughout the game he saw off the threat of Nani, Park and Valencia whom all had a shot at him throughout the game.
Again we seem not to be able to give players time. I think Kolarov will be very good next season, he will at times be exposed due to our formation, but that happens to all left backs, see Evra or Cole when a 433 formation is being played.
Defensively I think we are very strong, hence having the best defence in the Prem. We have 2-3 very good rights back, Richards being excellent on his day, Kompany, Toure, Lescott, Boyata and Boateng whom have all looked very impressive when they have played centre half. Boyata and Boateng look excellent prospects and Lescott has been outstanding since his prolonged stint in the side. Kompany is indeed world class.
Left back I think Kolarov will be decent, and we have Zaba as cover and Germany's world cup left back as third choice.

I don't want Cahill or Baines, I see them as backwards steps, I would only look to introduce good quality young players be it domestic or continental.
The kid from Ajax looks promising, as do a few in the EDS & U18's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.