Left Back

Who should we sign at left back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We need a carbon copy of Kyle Walker on the left.

Looking at the stats, If we want an already made option, Theo Hernandez would be the way to go, a defensive minded option would be Cucurella and an attacking option would be David Raum.

Raum's assists (fourth in the bundesliga), chances created and goals makes me feel like he would fit into a Pep team easily, still has some work to do defensively but playing at City that would only get better.

From the youtube highlights, he reminds me more of Zaba than walker, not extremely pacey but very intelligent, loves going forward, very composed on the ball, and takes his time to pick out the best option for a pass.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
We need a carbon copy of Kyle Walker on the left.
I think it's the other way round - having 2 fullbacks that are equally poor on the ball would be detrimental to the team. Walker on the right and Cancelo on the left is a better combination.

Besides, Pep's tactics always require makeshift players that move between defensive and midfield positions, whether it's a fullback or a CB. Cancelo and Zin perform this role in the current team.

If Pep wants to mantain such system with a hybrid LB/CM, Zin is a perfect deputee for Cancelo. You won't find another player with similar skillset that agrees to be a backup. What our squad really misses is another "Walker", physical beast covering RB/RCB position. And I guess RBs are easier to find than LBs, am I right?

I think it's the other way round - having 2 fullbacks that are equally poor on the ball would be detrimental to the team. Walker on the right and Cancelo on the left is a better combination.

Besides, Pep's tactics always require makeshift players that move between defensive and midfield positions, whether it's

a fullback or a CB. Cancelo and Zin perform this role in the current team.

If Pep wants to mantain such system with a hybrid LB/CM, Zin is a perfect deputee for Cancelo. You won't find another player with similar skillset that agrees to be a backup. What our squad really misses is another "Walker", physical beast covering RB/RCB position. And I guess RBs are easier to find than LBs, am I right?
You probably are right but we could do with a left footed leftback with a bit of pace that can defend. I know what you’re going to say, there are not a lot of them about.

Looking at the stats, If we want an already made option, Theo Hernandez would be the way to go, a defensive minded option would be Cucurella and an attacking option would be David Raum.

Raum's assists (fourth in the bundesliga), chances created and goals makes me feel like he would fit into a Pep team easily, still has some work to do defensively but playing at City that would only get better.

From the youtube highlights, he reminds me more of Zaba than walker, not extremely pacey but very intelligent, loves going forward, very composed on the ball, and takes his time to pick out the best option for a pass.

Theo Hernandez would have been ideal , but it seems he is very happy where he is now.

Will be interesting what city's approach is. To continue Cancelo/ Zin combination or finally get one this summer

Just checked and saw that Ghoulam’s contract is set to expire. Such a great player and prospect but one whose career basically ended five years ago in that night in Naples against us. He’s been bedevilled with injuries ever since. Same type of injury ended his and Mendy’s playing careers within six weeks of each other.

As others have said, need a 'kyle walker' on the left. A complete unit, charging up and down the flanks.

As things stand we have neither the pace, nor physicality on the left hand side.

Besides, Pep's tactics always require makeshift players that move between defensive and midfield positions, whether it's a fullback or a CB. Cancelo and Zin perform this role in the current team.

I know Cancelo isn’t as effective on the right coming in field, although I thought he was much improved in the second half, but surely he can cover both positions (RB/LB) as a ball playing full back, his injury record is also very good. Having a pacey overlapping, get to the byline LB would give us a lot more options as opposed to a KW clone. Our left side as a whole is a problem, when it doesn’t function properly our attack suffers badly, there was a notable switch in tactics for the second half yesterday, with most of the build up coming down the right & play being switched out to the left

got a comparison for the other targets. Sosa, Gomez, Wijndal ?

Cancelo and Zinchenko are absolutely fine but the issue, if there is one, is that we have little cover for Kyle, and his physical attributes are pretty unique. Personally, I would like us to integrate a player from the academy, who would back up Kyle and/or Cancelo. We may be able to afford another £40m player but we could unearth an absolute gem, give hope to young players, and mould that player into a world-beater. CJ Egan-Riley and Josh Wilson-Esbrand would be my choices, a right-back and a left-back, given regular minutes from the start of the season.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.