Legal advice please!

What the fuck has your accountant been doing for 12 years not to ask you sooner?
Secondly what the fuck?
Nobody goes near my business or money without me looking at it first I don’t give a flying fuck who it is.
Get a lawyer.
Always check the business bank account as often as possible, ensure HMRC correspondence goes to Directors, open the post yourself, sometimes there’s a nasty surprise in there.

Accountant in this instance should be threatened with Court Action but at the very least sacked, what a wanker not to advise about dividends that were not going into the OP’s account.

What a terrible turn of events. I wish you well and hope the best for your children.
There is, in my view, absolutely no alternative but to seek immediate legal advice. Unfortunately, the prospect of police involvement is likely, and you have to be prepared for its impact.

Somebody I know had a similar situation with his ex-wife who had taken money from their business. When family and business combine, I suspect that this is far more commonplace than many imagine.

Best wishes to you.

What a terrible turn of events. I wish you well and hope the best for your children.
There is, in my view, absolutely no alternative but to seek immediate legal advice. Unfortunately, the prospect of police involvement is likely, and you have to be prepared for its impact.

Somebody I know had a similar situation with his ex-wife who had taken money from their business. When family and business combine, I suspect that this is far more commonplace than many imagine.

Best wishes to you.
My neighbour worked in her parents Funeral Business, very successful and well respected, been going for many years.

They employed her Brothers wife to take over the accounts, she also screwed the company to such an extent it closed. My neighbour’s Dad had early onset of dementia so that’s probably why large sums of money going missing wasn’t noticed.

Forward several years, neighbour’s Dad is in a home, brother split with thieving wife, he lives at his mum’s with his two daughters. Neighbour now has 9-5 job instead of running a once thriving business, all fucked over by this horrible bastard who essentially stole their business.

As you say, it probably goes on a lot more than people realise.

It’s theft, involve the police mate.

Horrible situation to be in and I hope you can resolve it.

My neighbour worked in her parents Funeral Business, very successful and well respected, been going for many years.

They employed her Brothers wife to take over the accounts, she also screwed the company to such an extent it closed. My neighbour’s Dad had early onset of dementia so that’s probably why large sums of money going missing wasn’t noticed.

Forward several years, neighbour’s Dad is in a home, brother split with thieving wife, he lives at his mum’s with his two daughters. Neighbour now has 9-5 job instead of running a once thriving business, all fucked over by this horrible bastard who essentially stole their business.

As you say, it probably goes on a lot more than people realise.
And it is easy to say, with hindsight, but I suspect that many do not place family employees under the usual scrutiny.

I'm 100% with you on this. I had my own company for 15 years, with me as the sole director but my son as minority shareholder (10%). I used dividends to help him with his living expenses while he was at uni but if I paid him £1,000 I had to take £9,000. Whether I actually took that was irrelevant, as that had to be my declared dividend, and I was taxed on that. However, I've no reason to disbelieve the OP, who has always been a sensible and intelligent poster.

This isn't always the case, you can have different share classes (A and B for example) and declare a different dividend for each. It's how I operated for 30 odd years

Always check the business bank account as often as possible, ensure HMRC correspondence goes to Directors, open the post yourself, sometimes there’s a nasty surprise in there.

Accountant in this instance should be threatened with Court Action but at the very least sacked, what a wanker not to advise about dividends that were not going into the OP’s account.
This depends. The accountant only knows that funds marked as dividends have left the company account not necessarily where they are sent to. I used to send dividends to different personal accounts at times but they were all mine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.