Leroy Sané

Status
Not open for further replies.
So £100m on Sane and Auba. Another CM and Laporte + Stones would make it 200m+. And that's if we sign no full-backs.
Like I've pointed out on many threads, if we sign Auba and Sane, we really aren't going to Sign another CM. There just isn't space for one.

Hence why I always thought a player like Isco ( a Tweener) who could play wing and CM was our best bet. But If Pep wants his speed on the outside like it looks like he does, then Ilkay will be our only CM. Unless we plan on shipping out Nasri and Dihno.

A great attack is a great defense. Ask the reigning champions league winners, who've won it 2 out of the last 3 years. Madrid's FB's aren't the best and they have a mix at CB but they make up for it by having a scary attack.

Real's fullbacks are not bad. Carvajal is brilliant, and Marcelo is one of the best attacking fullbacks out there, and they cover up his defence weakness well. Certainly their fullbacks are miles ahead of ours.

They also have a brilliant midfield with Modric-Kroos-Casemiro.

So really a great attack and midfield with good defenders and a great keeper is a great defence.

Like I've pointed out on many threads, if we sign Auba and Sane, we really aren't going to Sign another CM. There just isn't space for one.

Hence why I always thought a player like Isco ( a Tweener) who could play wing and CM was our best bet. But If Pep wants his speed on the outside like it looks like he does, then Ilkay will be our only CM. Unless we plan on shipping out Nasri and Dihno.

Isco can't play on the wing.

Ancelotti shifted him to LM when they played 442 on occasion and he was at his absolute worst. Useless, on the fringe of he game and got frustrated.

He was a good interior under Pellegrini, but that's not a winger, and it's certainly not a Guardiola winger, who have always been fast and good At taking players on - Coman, Costa, Robben, Ribery, Henry, Villa, Pedro, Messi.

They're nothing like Isco.

Isco can't play on the wing.

Ancelotti shifted him to LM when they played 442 on occasion and he was at his absolute worst. Useless, on the fringe of he game and got frustrated.

He was a good interior under Pellegrini, but that's not a winger, and it's certainly not a Guardiola winger, who have always been fast and good At taking players on - Coman, Costa, Robben, Ribery, Henry, Villa, Pedro, Messi.

They're nothing like Isco.
This is one of those arguments I hate getting into because they often become cyclical. I'll show how your claims are wrong, you'd argue, shift the goalpost and then it becomes a big dick swing. Then FI comes in and shuts it down for being off topic. But here goes nothing. I'm a sucker for arguments :)

1. Isco has played on the wings for Ancelloti and Zidane. So he can play there comfortably. This season alone, 12 of his 29 starts were out wide. So your claim he doesn't play outside is false.

Statistically, his best performances this season occurred while playing from wide. So your claim his is poor there too is also iffy.

And as far as wingers Pep has played that are like Isco (I.e not speed demons) here is a list:
Gudjohnson
Iniesta
Bojan
Hleb
Afellay
Mueller
Shaqiri
Goetze

None of the above were speed demons, yet all have started multiple games out wide for Pep. Not to mention Villa wasn't that fast either. So again your arguments don't hold much water

And as for ability to take player on, Isco is quite capable of destroying a defender with ease. All that said, I never claimed Isco was a winger... The word I used was Tweener. Someone who could play on the wing but preferably in the middle. And yes, Isco is.

Last edited:
This is one of those arguments I hate getting into because they often become cyclical. I'll show how your claims are wrong, you'd argue, shift the goalpost and then it becomes a big dick swing. Then FI comes in and shuts it down for being off topic. But here goes nothing. I'm a sucker for arguments :)

1. Isco has played on the wings for Ancelloti and Zidane. So he can play there comfortably. This season alone, 12 of his 29 starts were out wide. So your claim he doesn't play outside is false.

Statistically, his best performances this season occurred while playing from wide. So your claim his is poor there too is also iffy.

And as far as wingers Pep has played that are like Isco (I.e not speed demons) here is a list:
Gudjohnson
Iniesta
Bojan
Hleb
Afellay
Mueller
Shaqiri
Goetze

None of the above were speed demons, yet all have started multiple games out wide for Pep. Not to mention Villa wasn't that fast either. So again your arguments don't hold much water

And as for ability to take player on, Isco is quite capable of destroying a defender with ease. All that said, I never claimed Isco was a winger... The word I used was Tweener. Someone who could play on the wing but preferably in the middle. And yes, Isco is.

You've posted a list of wingers who failed under Guardiola, or players which Guardiola used there in an emergency and quickly moved them back to their normal positions and then compared them to Isco - so that pretty much says it all. And all of them except Götze - are much faster than Isco.

Also - point to a game where Zidane started him out wide. I don't recall him doing it even once.

Benitez did, especially when Bale was injured, but Zidane put a stop to it immediately and got a proper winger in - Vasquez.

Because Isco was useless there. Zidane didn't go and bring a 24 year old serial loanee in from the cold because Isco was doing such a great job on the wing.

Last edited:
I'm all for having Sane, but not sorting out the deficiencies at RB and LB would be absolutely suicidal.

Let's just assume that the best manager in the game - who has always had world class full backs and used them as key parts of his tactical set up -knows what he's doing and hasn't just forgotton about fullback.

Either he:

A) Rates our current ones, and thinks under his coaching they will be much better than they have been recently.

B) Rates Maffeo/Angelino and thinks he can promote them.

C) Txiki and Pep are looking at fullbacks to buy, we just haven't heard about it yet, probably because the window doesn't open for another 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.