Leroy Sane - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not his best game today because he let his emotions get the better of him at times and lost his focus(hence the offsides and caught on his heels) but it's just another learning experience along the way to the top. Once he finds the right mentality there will be no stopping him.

I don't blame him for the offsides last night as he had to give himself every chance to get in behind a compact defence. His defensive work is pretty phenomenal considering the type of player he is. One effort in particular last night was exceptional when he chased back and prevented a shot on goal. The one area where he has to improve is his lazy distribution when we're up the pitch, usually a little pass inside. It happens a number of times every game and immediately puts us under pressure. Think their first goal at Anfield came from him giving the ball away on the edge of their box. I'd still like to see him play through the middle just off the main striker when he's matured a little improves his distribution.

I have never understood why guys with pace to burn get themselves into offside positions so frequently. It is one thing to be proactive, but it is another, more important, thing to read the game a little better. You won’t always get the ball exactly when you want it, but that’s why you give yourself a 2 yard cushion! If you are on the move already, those two yards are eaten up in a flash on the defender and you’re off to the races.

And, once in a while, Sané needs to just burn a guy for pace. Knock it past him and run. As the fastest guy in the League, he doesn’t do this often enough. Surely, he understands by now that if he did this only twice in the first 3 or 4 possessions, the defender will have to cheat on him and allow him the space to play any way he wants?!

He should force the defender into a foot race, show him he can’t run with him, then let the defender have to worry whether he’s going to burn him outside or jink inside for the rest of the game.

Also, he needs to get a chance to be Bernardo-esque for 20-30mins a game, so he can come inside on his left a few times. I seem to remember a memorable result from that against the adippers earlier in the season!

The lad has talent that as yetknows no bounds. If he can corral it, nurture it, and work hard to improve inhis weak areas, it is hard to know how good he can be.

All that said, he’s a frustrating fucker at times, but he will win more games for us than most.

Sane is very frustrating to watch at times. Last night was definitely one of them games.

Agreed but he will learn from his mistakes. He started brilliantly because he made arnold commit and he ended up on a yellow. After that though he failed to understand that should he continue to run at him arnold cant get so tight and runs the risk of being sent off should he mistime a challenge

Sane let him off the hook with that decision making

Yet again, we are embarrassingly reliant on the kid.

I am amazed at some fans around me who think he is a genuine robot. He must have ran at/jockeyed against TAA at least 20 times in the first half prior to TAA being booked, and then in the 90 seconds that followed fans screamed 'run at him' about 6 times because the right back was 'knackered'
Well yeah he was, but Sane was pretty shot too considering he is the ONLY ball we ever look to in the final third
Its CRIMINAL how predictable we are and how people expect him to be able to run 100mph for 50 yard and produce genuine world class quality every time

The brilliance of the best teams is they vary attacks and allow their best players opportunity to get 1v1 at the right time, not every time.

He will be slagged on here for not scoring or making 4 assists tonight but I guarantee they spent at least 10 mins of their HT team talk discussing how to handle his movement and runs.

Take your point and i agree. I think what has been evident though over these 2 ties is that Sane did have the opportunity to get 1v1 with him, but delayed his choice so much it allowed liverpool to most of the time get him doubled up on. I know he cant do it everytime, but he didnt do it enough for me

He is young though, and will learn from this which can only benefit us

The show on RManc after the game suggested that half of them were incorrect. He is faster of foot than linos can judge! I've not seen any in replay but I bet half of them were in line!
I can't comment on the ones in the first half but I was looking along their defensive line for the 2nd half and tbh the only Sane offside call I thought was tight was for the disallowed goal by Bernardo.

As regards him taking on Arnold more often, surely one of the coaching staff would have told him that at HT, they can't all have been involved in a justified but ultimately pointless rant at the officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.