Lescott Interview in the Guardian

black mamba said:
We have far too many injuries/suspensions to let a centre-back go .... the club look willing to let Kolo go , and Micah Richards , another possible deputy for the role , is rarely fit himself.

Joleon Lescott is a very good defender , and one who chips in with the odd goal .... he's a little left-sided maybe , but he's too good to let go all the same.

I still remain unconvinced that Vincent Kompanys injury has gone for good , and he probably goes into games wondering how long things will last ...

Having said that there's little any manager can do if a player himself is making 'unsettled' noises , and wants regular first team starts to boost his international prospects .... but you're always gonna encounter things like that with squad systems.

We will be getting a younger better CB

Would be happy for him to stay but if he wants to go we will not stand in his way although we won't give him away.

Personally we should keep him as it will be difficult to get experienced new players in over the summer that will improve the first eleven.

Many have a shopping list and are expecting 8 -10 players with first team experience this season moving on.

The realty is their will be few changes over the summer , not many coming in and not many going out.

The wages and the transfer fees required on both fronts will see to that.

We have had to run RSC and WB's contracts down in order to sell them on free transfers this summer a ludicrous situation by anyone's standards.

We had to get rid of players like Ade and Bellamy on the cheap and even take a loss on Balotelli who is now entrenched as Italy's number one striker.

Those days are finished for a variety of reasons and as we saw with Tevez unless clubs are prepared to pay decent money for players that don't want to be here we will keep them.

Skashion said:
This is why all of Hughes' signings have gone for a fraction of what we bought them for whereas all Mancini's have been sold for a profit.

Hardly that smplistic though is it?

Hughes needed to make an instant impact as well as instant progression,hence why we overpaid for 'established' players.

Manicini had the luxury of excellent foundations and a great team spine to build upon hence why he could introduce potential as well as proven footballers.

Lets see what sort of profit is made on Nasri,Dzeko,kolarov,Garcia and Sinclair........

Great interview by Lescott.

Personally I'd rather let Lescott go than Kolo, as Joleon would command a higher fee, and Kolo has the added bonus that he can also play fullback as well.

Big fan of both, I never have any complaints when I see Lescotts name on the team sheet, and I think he deserves to be playing regular football.

I've never known a side to win the league with the best defensive pairing in the whole country, then just throw one of them down the shitter for absoluteley minimal reasons. If one of them suffered a broken leg, or became an alcoholic, or punched the manager in the face, I could imagine it. But if we really do chuck out one of the best defenders in the country just because we have a kid who may be a bit more mobile, well it's utter fucking madness.

It would be a return to the days of 'typical City' I suppose though.

Neville Kneville said:
I've never known a side to win the league with the best defensive pairing in the whole country, then just throw one of them down the shitter for absoluteley minimal reasons. If one of them suffered a broken leg, or became an alcoholic, or punched the manager in the face, I could imagine it. But if we really do chuck out one of the best defenders in the country just because we have a kid who may be a bit more mobile, well it's utter fucking madness.

I dont believe Mancini WANTS to sell him. But Lescott wants to play week in week out something we simply cant give him.

I dont think anyone could have foreseen Nastys progress

zeven said:
Neville Kneville said:

I dont believe Mancini WANTS to sell him. But Lescott wants to play week in week out something we simply cant give him.

I dont think anyone could have foreseen Nastys progress

It's completely irrelevant. There are easily enough games for a full squad of defenders to play, even without injuries & when it comes to actual defending, Lescott is one of the best around. We should offer him a new deal, even if we are signing another CB.

I'm sure Lescott will sign if a deal is offered. He just wants to know where he stands.

Not his greatest fan as a footballer, as he's so laboured in possession you can almost see his lips moving ("move feet, rotate body, sidefoot ball 3 yards, careful now"), but I wonder whether we shouldn't keep him regardless. I think we dropped a ricket last summer letting De Jong go, because he was a character and a really positive influence around the club. Lescott's the same, and if he'd take a sizeable pay cut I'd be inclined to keep him on board. Top fella. Wish him well whatever happens

I hope he stays personally, great player. I have no idea though what he may be looking for in a contract. If he can stay and be part of the team without demanding a crazy contract he should stay. I don't know of any defender that will come in and be as good as him and be willing to sit on the bench.<br /><br />-- Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 pm --<br /><br />
grim up north said:
black mamba said:
We have far too many injuries/suspensions to let a centre-back go .... the club look willing to let Kolo go , and Micah Richards , another possible deputy for the role , is rarely fit himself.

Joleon Lescott is a very good defender , and one who chips in with the odd goal .... he's a little left-sided maybe , but he's too good to let go all the same.

I still remain unconvinced that Vincent Kompanys injury has gone for good , and he probably goes into games wondering how long things will last ...

Having said that there's little any manager can do if a player himself is making 'unsettled' noises , and wants regular first team starts to boost his international prospects .... but you're always gonna encounter things like that with squad systems.

We will be getting a younger better CB

Who's that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.