Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mexes would be an abysmal signing for the Premier League. He's got the pace of a dead snail.

Dobsy87 said:
Mexes would be an abysmal signing for the Premier League. He's got the pace of a dead snail.
But he's ace on Football Manager (or whatever it is the kids play these days).

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief said:
stony said:
What's happened to all these so called ITK's ? Their silence is deafening.

LOL I released my source back into the wild at my last update as I have become thoroughly bored with Moyes, Neverton and the Lescott saga.

I wasn't thinking of you Nixon, yours was one of the few I actually took at face value.

Funnily enough, with Moyes latest statement that the dressing room was against Lescott, I was going to ask you what your friends views of that was.

stony said:
LOL I released my source back into the wild at my last update as I have become thoroughly bored with Moyes, Neverton and the Lescott saga.

I wasn't thinking of you Nixon, yours was one of the few I actually took at face value.

Funnily enough, with Moyes latest statement that the dressing room was against Lescott, I was going to ask you what your friends views of that was.

Well obviously he's now unlikely to have any insight into whether the transfer will happen (I really dont think anyone actually knows at this point) but I will get a message to him later today and see what his take on this "Letting his team mates down" and "Attitude" is all about. I'll post up his take on it when he gets back to me.

Dubai Blue said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Actually I disagree, if goalscoring wasn't an issue, why was it we failed to come from behind when the otherside took the lead, we ranked 20th. Its all very good to sit there and look at the goals scored and think .....oh we scored alot so there was no issue, but the fact remains we struggled to score hard goals, Stoke, Wigan, Bolton all games we battered the home side and all games they scored and sat on their leads.
I'm talking about this year, not last year. We will not struggle to score goals with the likes of Tevez, Robinho, Adebayor, and Ireland in the team.

I agree, but all the same, Lescott's goal scoring prowess is an important part of his game.

In a really good team, every player - including the goalkeeper - is a key player in the team's attacking play, just as every player, including the strikers, is a key player in the team's defensive play. Shitter teams, lower down the league, have defenders who just defend, and maybe players (like Michael Owen...!) who can only attack/score goals and contribute nothing else. At top clubs, every player (or near as dammit) is expected to contribute in both phases of play. City's squad is moving towards the time when every player, or nearly every player, contributes both in attack and in defence.

In a similar vein, to be a top club, you need to possess a multitude of goal-threats, i.e. you need to be able to score in many different ways, from many different positions, so that (a) you have the maximum number of possibilities to score and (b) you can exploit the particular weaknesses of any particular opponent and game-situation.

You can score in multiple different ways: counter-attack, long ball/knock down, quick passing and interplay, wingplay and crosses, long-distance shooting, and set pieces (no doubt you could think of others too). This season, our options allow us to score in most of those ways, but you can't deny that we are still pretty unthreatening at set pieces, and acquiring Lescott will massively improve us in that respect. It might only turn one draw into a win over the course of the season, but that should not be discounted.

Well obviously he's now unlikely to have any insight into whether the transfer will happen (I really dont think anyone actually knows at this point) but I will get a message to him later today and see what his take on this "Letting his team mates down" and "Attitude" is all about. I'll post up his take on it when he gets back to me.

Cheers mate, I'll watch out for that.

Braggster said:
Dubai Blue said:
I'm talking about this year, not last year. We will not struggle to score goals with the likes of Tevez, Robinho, Adebayor, and Ireland in the team.

I agree, but all the same, Lescott's goal scoring prowess is an important part of his game.

In a really good team, every player - including the goalkeeper - is a key player in the team's attacking play, just as every player, including the strikers, is a key player in the team's defensive play. Shitter teams, lower down the league, have defenders who just defend, and maybe players (like Michael Owen...!) who can only attack/score goals and contribute nothing else. At top clubs, every player (or near as dammit) is expected to contribute in both phases of play. City's squad is moving towards the time when every player, or nearly every player, contributes both in attack and in defence.

In a similar vein, to be a top club, you need to possess a multitude of goal-threats, i.e. you need to be able to score in many different ways, from many different positions, so that (a) you have the maximum number of possibilities to score and (b) you can exploit the particular weaknesses of any particular opponent and game-situation.

You can score in multiple different ways: counter-attack, long ball/knock down, quick passing and interplay, wingplay and crosses, long-distance shooting, and set pieces (no doubt you could think of others too). This season, our options allow us to score in most of those ways, but you can't deny that we are still pretty unthreatening at set pieces, and acquiring Lescott will massively improve us in that respect. It might only turn one draw into a win over the course of the season, but that should not be discounted.
Good points, well made.

However, unless we start getting the ball off the ground at corners, Lescott is going to struggle to score any headers!!

We've obviously not bid. It will be all over the place the second we do. This is City taking their time. I reckon maybe we're waiting, then we can put in a lower fee so they feel pressured to accept. We can't leave it too long though because at a certain point i.e. August 31st, it simply won't be worth selling for them.

Dubai Blue said:
However, unless we start getting the ball off the ground at corners, Lescott is going to struggle to score any headers!!

I know - I was shocked to see Bellamy taking corners at Ewood park. I thought it was more or less nailed on that Barry would be the go-to man for corners and free kicks into the box for our big boys to get their heads on. Will be interesting to see how this aspect of our play develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.