Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodge said:
Chippy_boy said:
In my view giving one of our main competitors £22.5m is bad business. £22.5m is worth more to them than Lescott is to us.

In my view we should have bailed out at a lower number and gone looking in Europe for a suitable player.

EDIT: I mean - it's not that he's even that good. He's like OK but nothing special. I would value him at perhaps 8m ~ 10m.

I don't think the club consider Everton to be one of our main competitors.

We're aiming slightly higher than that..
In the long run yes, but too much change to expect to get the best out of the squad inside of one season. Remember our games will be Cup Finals away from home

Pigeonho said:
I hope this half 2 announcement is true, would love to round off the week with another huge signing. On the Giggs thing, I think its a bit blue-blinkered to say he wasn't in the top 10 last year. Taking into account his age, the role he played and the fact he's still doing it 18 seasons down the line, I think he was most definitely in the top 10, if not the top 5 last year. I bet people will struggle to name 10 players better than Giggs last season.

Are you pissed, he had 3 good games around the turn of the year. The reasons you've mentioned would go towards him winning a lifetime achievement award not the player of the season (something which there is a very good case for him getting), the fact that you mentioned his ages and non leading role in the side proves that there were more influenial candidates around. Awarding someone something like this on sentiment belittles the players who out performed him last season such as;

Ireland
Lampard
Torres (injured for large parts, but still played more than Giggs)
Gerrard
Young
Ronaldo
Vidic
Ferdinand
Xabi Alonso
Mascherano
Pretty much the entire Fulham Team
Anelka
James Beatie
Jaglieka
the list goes on......

Del_Bosque said:
Pigeonho said:
I hope this half 2 announcement is true, would love to round off the week with another huge signing. On the Giggs thing, I think its a bit blue-blinkered to say he wasn't in the top 10 last year. Taking into account his age, the role he played and the fact he's still doing it 18 seasons down the line, I think he was most definitely in the top 10, if not the top 5 last year. I bet people will struggle to name 10 players better than Giggs last season.

Are you pissed, he had 3 good games around the turn of the year. The reasons you've mentioned would go towards him winning a lifetime achievement award not the player of the season (something which there is a very good case for him getting), the fact that you mentioned his ages and non leading role in the side proves that there were more influenial candidates around. Awarding someone something like this on sentiment belittles the players who out performed him last season such as;

Ireland
Lampard
Gerrard
Young
Ronaldo
Vidic
Ferdinand
Xabi Alonso
Mascherano
Anelka
James Beatie
Jaglieka
the list goes on......

+ Onouha & Given

Dont understand this "We shouldnt be giving teams around us money" statement. Does that mean if Vidic became available we shouldnt get him because the rags will get a pay day? Those around us would find the money regardless of debt if they genuinely felt we were a threat to their 4th to 1st spot in the league. The top 4 dont believe we will be up there next season regardless of what some of you think, Everton are no threat either we could give them £60m and they wouldnt spend it right. Be realistic (not arrogent in saying this...) but who could Everton sign that would worry us or the top 4? Manchester City or Everton... Ermmm? No brainer, so giving them £18m or £25m doesnt make any difference in all honesty. We have just given Arsenal £40m and there a bigger threat to us finishing 4th than the Toffee's.
We are aiming for top 4, that means Champions league football next term, so do we not buy anyone from a Champs league side because it gives them money? Just doesnt make sense to me thats all.

not my fault! said:
Dont understand this "We shouldnt be giving teams around us money" statement. Does that mean if Vidic became available we shouldnt get him because the rags will get a pay day? Those around us would find the money regardless of debt if they genuinely felt we were a threat to their 4th to 1st spot in the league. The top 4 dont believe we will be up there next season regardless of what some of you think, Everton are no threat either we could give them £60m and they wouldnt spend it right. Be realistic (not arrogent in saying this...) but who could Everton sign that would worry us or the top 4? Manchester City or Everton... Ermmm? No brainer, so giving them £18m or £25m doesnt make any difference in all honesty. We have just given Arsenal £40m and there a bigger threat to us finishing 4th than the Toffee's.
We are aiming for top 4, that means Champions league football next term, so do we not buy anyone from a Champs league side because it gives them money? Just doesnt make sense to me thats all.

I totally agree with this post, NMF.

Also this obsession with "he isn't worth x amount". Who cares, it isn't our money, it doesn't go on the P&L.

He's worth what we are prepared to pay for him.

Didsbury Dave said:

Also this obsession with "he isn't worth x amount". Who cares, it isn't our money, it doesn't go on the P&L.

We also think he is a better player than anyone else who is available. When people say well everton will buy someone better for half the money they basically don't trust our management team. We are going for him because Hughes thinks he is the best available, otherwise he would go for the player who would cost half as much if he were as good.

And remember the top players cost top whack. I don't think it is logical to say Upson is worth £10m therefore Lescott is only worth £12 or something to that effect. If someone is 10% better that doesnt equate to 10% in £££, that 10% is what makes the difference in matches and could be worth £10m.

not my fault! said:
your dead right mate, people forget wage structures at clubs like everton as well, they have to watch every penny so even if we gave them the cash to go and spend big on big players there wage structure wouldn't allow it anyway. wish some city fans would think of city first and foremost

Didsbury Dave said:
not my fault! said:

I really don't agree with the whole "Who cares it's not our money" standpoint, we should still try and get the best players, but attempt to be as frugal as possible in doing so.

Del_Bosque said:
Ireland
Lampard
Gerrard
Young
Ronaldo
Vidic
Ferdinand
Xabi Alonso
Mascherano
Anelka
James Beatie
Jaglieka
the list goes on......

Are you ITK this looks like our next summer's targets.... :-)

Can't believe i'm doing this, but gotta back myself up toa point. Gerrard's stats on the right, Giggs' on the left.

Seeing as Gerrard had twice as many starts as Giggs, played more than a thousand minutes more and played 3 times more, I think you'll see the stats bode well in my arguement that Giggs should be at least in the top 10. Pass completion is in Gerrards favour by ONE percent. Only 20 more key passess completed by Gerrard, even though he had more than a thousand mins more to do better than that. Not being funny either, but what did Fulham win?!!! Not sticking up for any united player, never will do, but players like giggs, despite his redness, deserve credit where its due and for him to have done what he did last season, in what was a pretty poor season for the prem league as a whole, I think he definitely deserves top 10 accolade.

26 29
Starts 14 28
Mins on pitch 1395 2456
Goals 2 15
Mins per goal 698 164
Shots on target 10 40
Shots off target 7 52
Pass completion 79.00% 80.00%
Key passes 53 73
Assists 7 7
Crosses 164 201
Dribbles 39 51
Tackles 36 51
Fouls 12 18
Yellow cards 0 5
Red cards 0 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.