Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone get the feeling if this is not done over the weekend/at least by the close of business monday it won't happen?

Can't see Everton leaving it less than a week to find themselves a replacement (it's pretty obvious Senderos is not a replacement)

Cant see Lescott not putting in a written transfer request before any deadline. Another thing Moyes is a mouthy twat, why are we letting everton have Jo on loan, its beyond me, jo shuould be at Stoke, Hull or Bolton surely.

tbh i dont know much about this twitter, i jus ended up coming across it. jus trying to convince myself that he signing because having watched them last night we need him desperately.

Dr Bolouswki said:
Marvin said:
the endless speculation is not doing players like Dunne any good. Time to get behind them all. if Lescott, or Upson, or another central defender signs then great. But Dunne is certainly capable of playing better than he did last season. He needs games, and time with his new team mates. It doesn't help that he has to win over his supporters all over again.

I accept that City's weak point is the defence, but I also think that Dunne is a far better player than some of you are making out, and we can help him raise his game. if he plays, lets get behind the big man. he never hides

Top stuff - hear hear

i agree we have questionably the best keeper in the league behind him, a quality midfielder in front off him in barry, and toure beside him who to me looks total quality, not forgetting that he has been are best player for the best part off 5 years and id love to see him lift a cup this season as the skipper

Dr Bolouswki said:
Marvin said:
the endless speculation is not doing players like Dunne any good. Time to get behind them all. if Lescott, or Upson, or another central defender signs then great. But Dunne is certainly capable of playing better than he did last season. He needs games, and time with his new team mates. It doesn't help that he has to win over his supporters all over again.

I accept that City's weak point is the defence, but I also think that Dunne is a far better player than some of you are making out, and we can help him raise his game. if he plays, lets get behind the big man. he never hides

Top stuff - hear hear

All Dunnie needs to do is pretend hes playing for the rep of ireland when he pulls on a City shirt...no probs, sorted thanks and goodnight.

I'm posting this on the Lescott thread but, in truth, it could be posted on about half a dozen "this is how we should play in defence etc" threads also. So, if it's out of place, apologies...

There's a danger, in all of this, that Lescott (good player, that he is) is starting to be seen as a sort of magic bullet; the immediate cure-all for all of our defensive woes. Personally, I'm not so sure that he's actually as good as all that! To be fair, nobody has suggested that the defence won't need time to gel - but, the trouble is, everybody will be subscribing to their own theory on just how much time is long enough and, in that case, we probably won't have to wait until Halloween before the first of the Stadler and Waldorf brigade start to climb on every defender's backs (as opposed to just Dunney's) with their well-rehearsed torrents of abuse. God knows, we might never sign Lescott (I hope we do) but even before we have done, it seems like the pressure is starting to build on him, already. Hardly sane, is it? "We need a left-sided centre back" has become this year's "we need a target man" and, you know what? It might just be a knee jerk reaction on all our parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that our defence has been looking comfortable for anything like a long time now - and heaven knows we've tried enough formations in the Hughes era. What I am arguing is that when a corner comes zinging into our box, it doesn't much matter if the player hoofing it away is doing so with his left or right boot. No amount of extra left sided players is going to make up for our woeful lack of composure, in dealing with crosses, as much as the players on the pitch actually playing to the defensive system to be employed on such occasions. (I'm presuming here that there is one (just as Hughes had at Blackburn) and that Micah (for example) admiring the Tim Cahills of this world as the outjump him, isn't part of said plan).
True, a left-sided centre back may be of more use to us when the likes of Theo Walcott are running at the right side of our defence - but most of our problems in this area have had as much to do with a weakness at left back (Bridge was woeful at times, last year) and a reluctance to track back from our left wingers (although Robinho did improve greatly as the season progressed) as to whether Richard Dunne (for example) is a 'southpaw' or not.
With the exception of Nedum, not one of our defenders could hold their head up at the end of last season. Previously, they all enjoyed big (and deserved) reputations in the game. Various individual reasons for the loss of form could be mooted (Micah's loss of focus - whatever he says, himself; Bridge's ring rustiness; Dunne with a new baby in the house to distract him/ just getting old/ suffering under the burden of captaincy in the new goldfish bowl mentality) but whatever the reasons, this is professional football - at the business end, too - and they should all be drinking at the last chance saloon if they don't show a marked willingness to improve and adapt to the proposed defensive strategy. Or to put that another way, Hughesy may have to give them a right, good boll***ing and remind them that the door works both ways before things start to improve - and that's regardless of whether Lescott comes or not.

Lescott isnt worth all this bull hype he's getting ffs...lets go shopping abroad..get better for less.

How much was it the dippers paid for their new alonso replacement??? £16 mill..ish.

Its more looking more likely that yet another player Hughes seems an obsession with it staying put. I for one am glad at £20mil he aint worth it and I'd sooner have Neddy there any day of the week. Lucky escape if you ask me on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.