Lescott + more

I would very much like Glen Jhonson for 20 million, to see of chelsea & tottenham. Also 15 million for lescott, this would solidify our defence.

Braggster said:
Hi ToffeeAndy, yeah of course Moyes would try to take us for a ride regarding the fee (that's his job after all eh?), but I'm not sure that will work. Look at Given, Barry, Bridge, none of those players were signed for what you would term a ridiculous fee. And when Big Fat Sam tried to pull a fast one with RSC in january we just walked away.

We will pay over the odds, but only for the really big name players (Kaka, Robinho etc.). I don't know what Lescott's true value is - I don't watch him enough to say - but I would be VERY surprised if we offered more than £15m. Or maybe £12-13m and Jo on a season's loan. Barry was £12m, he is (IMO) a better player than Lescott, but also older than him and in the last year of his contract. That, and the £14m-£15m bandied around for Hangeland, a comparable player, sets the benchmark. £12-14m is fair, I would say - that is a decent profit for you after having had excellent value out of him on the pitch. Especially if his head is turned.

Of course, you won't see it like that...

Its tricky because a players value to the team he plays for isn't always his true value based on his footballing ability.

I don't think Lescott is really anymore then a £10-£12m player, however his value to our team is much higher as he's formed a formidable partnership with Jagielka. We broke our clean sheet record last year and that was almost completely down to their partnership. Couple that with Jags being out till maybe xmas and your looking at a player who's value to the club is maybe double his true worth based on ability alone.

I'd be quite happy if a deal couldn't be reached as we really dont have to sell him, nor would we want to. Unless Lescott actually comes out and demands a transfer which I can't see him doing then it is really a case of City meeting our asking price (whatever that is).

I dont think his head will be turned. Were in Europe next season and he wants to go to the world cup. If we go on a good european run it'll only enhance his chances of making the final cut. We took him from the 1st division and made him an international, and in his 3 seasons he's been here we've finished 6th, 5th, and 5th. I think only someone like Arsenal coming in could really turn his head.

However if we accepted a bid for him from City and he spoke to you, he may well end up going due to the ambition and wages the club offer.

ToffeeAndy said:
Braggster said:
Hi ToffeeAndy, yeah of course Moyes would try to take us for a ride regarding the fee (that's his job after all eh?), but I'm not sure that will work. Look at Given, Barry, Bridge, none of those players were signed for what you would term a ridiculous fee. And when Big Fat Sam tried to pull a fast one with RSC in january we just walked away.

We will pay over the odds, but only for the really big name players (Kaka, Robinho etc.). I don't know what Lescott's true value is - I don't watch him enough to say - but I would be VERY surprised if we offered more than £15m. Or maybe £12-13m and Jo on a season's loan. Barry was £12m, he is (IMO) a better player than Lescott, but also older than him and in the last year of his contract. That, and the £14m-£15m bandied around for Hangeland, a comparable player, sets the benchmark. £12-14m is fair, I would say - that is a decent profit for you after having had excellent value out of him on the pitch. Especially if his head is turned.

Of course, you won't see it like that...

Its tricky because a players value to the team he plays for isn't always his true value based on his footballing ability.

I don't think Lescott is really anymore then a £10-£12m player, however his value to our team is much higher as he's formed a formidable partnership with Jagielka. We broke our clean sheet record last year and that was almost completely down to their partnership. Couple that with Jags being out till maybe xmas and your looking at a player who's value to the club is maybe double his true worth based on ability alone.

I'd be quite happy if a deal couldn't be reached as we really dont have to sell him, nor would we want to. Unless Lescott actually comes out and demands a transfer which I can't see him doing then it is really a case of City meeting our asking price (whatever that is).

I dont think his head will be turned. Were in Europe next season and he wants to go to the world cup. If we go on a good european run it'll only enhance his chances of making the final cut. We took him from the 1st division and made him an international, and in his 3 seasons he's been here we've finished 6th, 5th, and 5th. I think only someone like Arsenal coming in could really turn his head.

However if we accepted a bid for him from City and he spoke to you, he may well end up going due to the ambition and wages the club offer.

In a year players are wanting to play to get into their world cup squads, then surely us not being in Europe is an advantage as players will not be run into the ground and will be fresh. They will still shine in the premier and be noticed by those that matter but wont have to play to many games. Just my thoughts anyway.

In a year players are wanting to play to get into their world cup squads, then surely us not being in Europe is an advantage as players will not be run into the ground and will be fresh. They will still shine in the premier and be noticed by those that matter but wont have to play to many games. Just my thoughts anyway.

I would have to disagree completely on this point to be honest.

Playing in europe means playing against teams who play a more continental game. International football is completely different to the premier league and so playing in either the Europa Cup/league or the Champions League give players essential experience of a similar style of football.

I've never heard of a players international ambitions being benefited by not playing in Europe. Especially a player who's not guaranteed a place in the final squad and will want to do everything to convince the manager he's worthy of a seat on the plane.

One big point many seem to not take into consideration is that Lescott is very possibly the future of Englands defence .
He didn't get there like some , just for being in a top 4 side , but got there through his own merit .
City might pay x amount , or might not , but if he moves his game forward , then the amount could very well double next year , due to his added exposure , and the prospect of the World cup going well for him .
Ferdinand had a good world cup , and look what happened .
£20 mill isn't that big a risk to City , but £15 mill could prove costly to Everton . Also , only Prem sides have been discussed , but the transfer window is young . It will be interesting to see if the European sides take note of all the media coverage and get tempted themselves .

Yep its gonna be a crazy summer... All these possible deals have knock on effects... if City buy Lescott, Everton then buy two 8 million pound players, those clubs get the money and they spend it....

As theres a few Evertonians around, what is your honest assessment of this lad???? What he like week in week out and is he better at LB or CB???

Darker shade of Blue said:
One big point many seem to not take into consideration is that Lescott is very possibly the future of Englands defence .
He didn't get there like some , just for being in a top 4 side , but got there through his own merit .
City might pay x amount , or might not , but if he moves his game forward , then the amount could very well double next year , due to his added exposure , and the prospect of the World cup going well for him .
Ferdinand had a good world cup , and look what happened .
£20 mill isn't that big a risk to City , but £15 mill could prove costly to Everton . Also , only Prem sides have been discussed , but the transfer window is young . It will be interesting to see if the European sides take note of all the media coverage and get tempted themselves .

Lol your still peddling the 15 million is not enough line.

Lescott would clearly be interested in signing for us, you cannot deny that. Lets hope to test himself against some of the most average teams in europe, for his sake you get past the qualifying round this year.

Must admit I haven't taken that into consideration at all.

The fact that he'll never (IMO) be more than a fringe England squad member may hae something to do with that. We already have two defenders that (again IMO) are more likely to be considered the future of Englands defence than Lescott.

moomba said:

The fact that he'll never (IMO) be more than a fringe England squad member may hae something to do with that. We already have two defenders that (again IMO) are more likely to be considered the future of Englands defence than Lescott.

agreed!

moomba said:

This^^^^

For me Lescott is overrated and not worth the £15m being bandied around. We can, and should, get better defenders than Lescott in IMO, but if Hughes is stuck on Prem experience as he seems to be, then Lescott could be what we make do with. The fact he's a left footed centre half is a good thing for us but that's about it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.