Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps. Bartomeu is taking a huge risk by not accepting a decent offer though. Worst case scenario if it goes to a FIFA tribunal is they interpret the June date in clause that allows him to leave for free as intending to mean after the end of the season. Then there's no fee at all presumably. If not, then they'll look at his age, his wages and how long's left on his contract. Can't see that figure being much more than £60m. That's why I maintain that an offer of £70m plus Garcis is, for them, the best they'll get under the circumstances.
Perhaps they think that there'll get a chance to back down if they get an inkling that Messi will push for a free transfer. i.e. nothing to lose but play hardball first, and then they can fall back later to make a conciliatory offer.

It's also possible that Messi's legal position is not as strong as his camp claim. We interpreted La Liga's claim as the product of vested interest but how do you judge.

If Messi's camp believe that their contract is now invalid then I assume that they will quickly push for a free transfer. Hesitation would be telling.

I agree with you with the courts. But if Messi is free to go, what in DEE f**k is his father, brother and attorney doing negotiating with Barcelona ?
Shouldn’t he be already signing a deal with city if he’s a free man ?
Comon folks ... it’s all a smoke screen people. Will he leave ... I suppose it’s possible but obviously even his camp don’t believe he’s free to go without a transfer agreement with Barcelona.
Because unlike Bartomeu they want to leave on good terms and for Barcelona to maybe make a little money as well?
If you only think its ‘possible’ that Messi is leaving then you are absolutely deluded.

The best way of getting the deal you want is by pretending you are coming to Manchester City - Kaka did this and Sanchez twice - this is 50/50 to me.
Did either of them become the greatest player ever whilst playing for one club; then make the legal act of canceling said contract whilst also refusing to partake in any club activities at all due to belief the relationship had legally terminated?

You comment is devoid of context. I find when this is done it is with the intent of adding the persons own feelings/wants and nuance; To create a thin veneer of narrative to uphold or otherwise give the mirrage of credibility to the implied meaning of their comment. That is to say you are forcing this negativity somewhat and not being objective.

Reactions: Pam
I don't think Barcelona will take Messi to court. They would never be forgiven if the did by their supporters.
I personally think the discussions are over a fee to save face for the club. City will have already agreed a deal with Messi, as long as the exit fee is not silly money. Just my opinion.

Perhaps they think that there'll get a chance to back down if they get an inkling that Messi will push for a free transfer. i.e. nothing to lose but play hardball first, and then they can fall back later to make a conciliatory offer.

It's also possible that Messi's legal position is not as strong as his camp claim. We interpreted La Liga's claim as the product of vested interest but how do you judge.

If Messi's camp believe that their contract is now invalid then I assume that they will quickly push for a free transfer. Hesitation would be telling.
If the 700m clause is not there (as some top sources have confirmed) then most of the problems are already solved. In such cases Messi can simply break the contract and leave and we will deal the matter in spanish court. But Messi wants to resolve the matter with barca itself..

Well that's open to interpretation. The date was seemingly hard-coded as June 10th. A court could say that's a firm date, which he didn't meet. So there would be a fee. Or they could say the clear intent was to allow him to leave ten days after the end of the season. I've heard that a Spanish court is likely to take the former view whereas a Swiss court may place more emphasis on the intent rather than the actual date.
The FIFA communique on temporarily extending contracts due to Covid certainly suggests the latter Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.