Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoned Rose said:
I get the FFPR concept. He will make money which is great. However, imo from a squad (your very favourite concept no doubt) perspective it would clearly be better to have 4-6 top end players at our disposal than one player.
I'm sorry for my outburst the other day but this is getting tedious. You tell me you respect my opinion yet you pay no notice when I try to explain it. Buying Messi should be neutral from an FFP point of view, maybe even positive.

I also believe that, due to savings from players leaving at the end of their contracts and some getting extended contracts, we can spend around £100m on 4 players without a negative impact on the P&L account. As I expect a net improvement of around £40m in our bottom line this year then we can spend all that money on Messi + 4 and meet FFP quite easily.

This of course assumes there's no restriction on the cash we can put down. I suspect you think that there is and, if that was the case your question would be reasonable. But the cash outlay in this case is not the issue, it's how you account for players and the marketability of Messi that stop this being an either/or scenario. If you don't understand any aspect of this then I'm happy to try to explain until you do. I'd rather do that than see you repeat the same mantra endlessly based on a premise you don't understand.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Stoned Rose said:
I get the FFPR concept. He will make money which is great. However, imo from a squad (your very favourite concept no doubt) perspective it would clearly be better to have 4-6 top end players at our disposal than one player.
I'm sorry for my outburst the other day but this is getting tedious. You tell me you respect my opinion yet you pay no notice when I try to explain it. Buying Messi should be neutral from an FFP point of view, maybe even positive.

I also believe that, due to savings from players leaving at the end of their contracts and some getting extended contracts, we can spend around £100m on 4 players without a negative impact on the P&L account. As I expect a net improvement of around £40m in our bottom line this year then we can spend all that money on Messi + 4 and meet FFP quite easily.

This of course assumes there's no restriction on the cash we can put down. I suspect you think that there is and, if that was the case your question would be reasonable. But the cash outlay in this case is not the issue, it's how you account for players and the marketability of Messi that stop this being an either/or scenario. If you don't understand any aspect of this then I'm happy to try to explain until you do. I'd rather do that than see you repeat the same mantra endlessly based on a premise you don't understand.
another pound for my Messi fund

Prestwich_Blue said:
Stoned Rose said:

FFP is not the issue with this signing. We have a number of sponsorship deals due for renewal, expanded stadium to fill and other revenue streams building our brand. This will take us to a different level in terms of generating revenue. PB is right. This is not an either or. Not many players on the planet fall into this category not even Neymar or Bale.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
pudge said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
No, the bottle by Messi.

His dad Jorge can only say so much.

Money is not the problem, it's politics and legacy.
I'm a sceptic when it comes to this move, mainly due to what that Transfer Forum has done to my health, but taking what you're saying into account what would be a possible time frame for it to happen if it indeed does happen?

A WC year would make it even trickier I would imagine?

It certainly does, and anything else is well above my level of understanding or information.

I rarely post in the transfer forum, these days, for good reason.

People always want jam on it, when sometimes all I have is marge.

If you are asking my personal opinion, I think Messi will get what he wants out of Barca, and the weight will be too much to bear for his shoulders.

Happy to be proved wrong and the most recent talks would suggest nothing is guaranteed at Barca.

Say Messi says "yes". What are the chances of the Barca fans scaring the shit out of him for leaving and he ends up staying at Barca?

They were saying on Revista before that Bartomeu has come out and said they want to build the side around Messi and that they are close to coming to terms with Messi's new contract demands, something on the lines of that anyway.

They even said that they are not sure about what Xavi is going to do yet so what that means I don't know but there has been a little talk of MLS moves in the past few months.

I still question whether they can pay Messi what he wants and also pay what they pay Neymar and build the side around Messi at the expense of a great talent such as Neymar, I would of thought it's one or the other.

I do think eventually Barca will give in to Messi's demands so if we are interested it's how well we can convince him that a new challenge is the best for his career and if Messi see's coming to City the best for his career at this moment in time.

pml79 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
No, the bottle by Messi.

His dad Jorge can only say so much.

Money is not the problem, it's politics and legacy.
That's why I've been saying it's 100% that we will try to sign him (everything is in place for that I believe including potential commercial deals). He signs for us or stays put. Either or and 50/50 it will actually happen up to recently.

But as I said earlier in the thread, there are a number of indications that the chances may be starting to move in our favour. Barcelona is not such a stable ship these days and he's looking increasingly disinterested.
Im sure zab n sergio would be a big plus in our favour too

And MDM.

Stoned Rose said:
thesilvalining said:
Stoned Rose said:
They could 'get to the final' with their 'average squad'? Ok mate.

I said 4-6 top end players. In the 30-50m bracket. Hardly 'ford focus' level.

You're actually starting to contradict your previous contradictions now.

I'm more than happy to leave this now because watching you tie yourself in knots is getting tedious.
Yes you can get to the final stages with a not so great squad, Dortmund last year had a great team no doubt about it but not a great squad.
Also havnt enough people told you yet- we can spend 200m on messi, he is very marketable so can make the money back. We can't spend 200m on 6 players as they are not as marketable so we couldn't do that with ffp, especially counting that all 6 of them would want over 100k a week(hence the Lamborghini vs 6 ford focus' comment).
What previous point have I contradicted and I've not tied myself in knots at all, your just an idiot that can't seem to realise that signing messi makes money back and also decided to get right up liverpools arses( kolo toure better than demichelis,aspas over dzeko.) just crawl out of their arse and realise that they have a great team and manager but not a great squad and would have been fucked with cl football and the injuries which we have had.

This just gets better and better.

So you're simultaneously saying Liverpool will need a better squad (a great squad in your words) to handle the CL, but then point out that Dortmund didn't have a great squad but got to the final?

Contradictory.

I get the FFPR concept. He will make money which is great. However, imo from a squad (your very favourite concept no doubt) perspective it would clearly be better to have 4-6 top end players at our disposal than one player. Surely, from a footballing perspective you can see that? Would you rather we got him, made loads of money but won nothing (possible), or got 4-6 top end players and vastly improved our playing squad so we don't run out of steam again? I know which I'd prefer and for someone so obviously 'squad obsessed', I'm pretty sure you can to.

You further allude to 'marketability'. None of the players we bought last summer were particularly 'marketable' yet we still spent over 90m on them. I wonder why we did that? I'd hazard a guess it was to improve our squad and give us more options. That 'squad' thing again.

Contradictory again.

You finish by adding a new aspect to your original argument. Liverpool wouldn't have been top with CL football and the injuries we've had.

Didn't say that originally did you?

Yet more contradiction.
They got to the champions league final but finished 25 points behind top of the league, which proves my comment that they didn't have the squad to cope with everything.

Last season we got a new manager, and hadn't signed a player to really improve our team for 2 years, so we had to get players for our managers system and were also lacking in squad due to our unsuccessful summer before. Now our squad isn't as weak, Mangala,Fernando and Sagna who have all been heavily linked will have our squad nearly where it needs to be. They'll cost about 40m between them. We don't need wholesale changes again it unsettles the squad doing it every year so we can't buy 6 50m players like you say.

Do you know the meaning of contradiction mate? I understand you may say the Dortmund comment was contradictory until I explained what effect it had on their domestic season, but I never mentioned last seasons transfers unto you said that so how was I contradicting myself about that? And adding a point which is also going with my general point that Liverpool aren't a great squad is far from contradictory, if anything it's backing up my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.