Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced that yesterday's election has done anything to change the situation as far as Messi is concerned. We know Messi voted and I'm sure he voted for Laporta because he remembers Laporta's stint as president between 2003 and 2010. But Messi was 22 when that stint ended, Barca had been transformed into a global brand, Pep was breaking just about every record and the club had been crowned champions of Europe with arguably the best team and style ever. Messi had time on his side then. But there's no going back to the future.

How different things are now. The club is broke, the team needs rebuilding but the wage bill has to be cut by 30 million euros for next season. Only promises have been cheap. Messi does not have time. He might want to stay, but short of accepting a massive cut to his wages .... and Pep, Txiki and Ferran are in Manchester. Finance seems to favour City still.

The only thing I am afraid of City putting too much effort on the Messi transfer and losing out on our other priorities.
It's a proven fact that bringing a player like Messi from Barca is a whole lot of work than a B.Silva from Monaco.
Our club is absolute professional but they do have a soft spot for Messi and Barcelona.
All the history and connection and all.
I hope they prioritise and deliver on a Haaland/Grealish/Aouar/LB/ CDM and then move to focus on the choppy waters at Barcelona.
Think it’s safe to say there will be more than one person working on transfers

Yes but the president can still embarrass him by telling the media “we did everything we could but he wanted more money”

He has already made his bed, with the whole 'messi isnt interested in money, he is motivated by a sporting project'. At the same time, stating that they'll do what they can to make messi stay, but within the economic situation of the club, and that messi may need to adjust his salary.

He has played it well, Laporte. Covered bases and promised it all, while leaving himself plenty of outs.

He has created the pressure on messi, not to muddy barca's name. if he leaves, he is basically saying the sportung project is guff, and who'd want to leave with that as a final message, even if it is putting words in his mouth. And Laporta still has his falback of, the economic situation wasnt good enough for messi, so he IS motivated by money, again, pressure on him stay.

For me, the timing will be telling. If he is to stay, that will happen pretty quickly, he, laporta, the club will all want that tied up and promoted asap.

If however we start hearing that old 'will make up his mind in the summer', then he has probably decided to stick with leaving.

Theres a Buzz around Barca right now with the new president they are talking about a comeback against PSG like they did before, but this PSG is different team to the one that lost last time. PSG might humble Barca fans tomorrow

Last edited:

Very close to messis entourage. said Messi is staying

No surprise if true. Played us like a fiddle all along methinks, and many have had his sad dreary tune belting out as their number 1 for ages.

I didn't want him and I still don't. Be glad when it is official that he is staying, married to Barcelona FC. No divorce and shotgun wedding to us, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.