Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Barca might be breaking some financial rules if they re-sign him after today.

Existing player renewal vs new player….wage limits etc

Last edited:
Countdown should be in hours now.…and minutes from 11pm ;-)

15.5!

By the time Messi wakes up in Argentina, it will be lunchtime in Barcelona. By the time the clock hits midnight (if that is indeed when his contract is up, I don't know) he will be having his din-dins.

I think he will let us all know after the copa. I reckon he’s leaving but wants to concentrate on the copa. Think he’ll announce it while in Argentina. No other explanation and I think he’s already told Barca and they asked to keep it quiet until they’ve signed all there freebies as him leaving might make it a harder sell to join Barca

I can see 4 possible scenarios.

1. He signs an extension today, both release statements saying it was never in doubt, there was only ever one outcome, they are meant for each other.

2. Barcelona issue a holding explanation saying they know Messi wants to extend, they need more time to work out the last details and let him focus on the copa america, and will resolve after that.

3. Barcelona issue a statement thanking him for his service and loyalty, but the club needs to come.out of a difficult position, partly blame the last president, wish him all the best, followed by a similar statement from him saying he loved it till his last day but wants a new challenge, and will reassess after the copa.

4. Naebody says fuck awl and we are all left scratching oor heids.

He didn't sign a one year deal last summer.

He was committed to Barcelona till today, since his extension in 2017. He did however have a courtesy final year get-out in recognition of loyalty and service which he tried to use, but Barceloana and LaLiga fucked the spirit of the clause over the technicality, by using the date in the contract, which was also the end of a typical season, instead of the end of the season which came later than usual due to the covid delay.

His lawyers disagreed with the interpretation, and from memory fifa even loosely backed it, but Barcelona said they would take it to court so he withdrew out of respect for the club. And announced he would see out his contract, which he has now done.

You are right though, they were quick to let the world know.
Ah right I thought he extended his deal by a year!

The Messi malarkey is Messi ing my head up.

Nothing will be done till Argentina are out of the tournament
Well that would be interesting. Tebas a couple of days ago…

“If Barcelona want to bring in a player who costs them €25million per season in salary, they must earn, either by transfer or by a salary reduction, €100 million.”

Speaking about how the rules impact Barca’ bloated squad, Tebas added: “They have to reduce salaries in the squad considerably or produce fees from sold players.

Im guessing that doesn’t apply to renewals. If so Barca may need to sort today or Messi will be subject to the same rules as any other new signing.

I also get the impression that the rules were modified after Barca‘s Bosman signings which is how they got Aguero et al in.

Its complicated and I could be wrong but given the above and the fact that all Messi’s marketing deals which involve Barca might need renegotiating after he “leaves” I doubt they would choose to leave it till after the Copa America…but this is what Bartomeu forced him to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.