Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Messi will join us, because I think City's transfer targets have moved on since last year. But it's a very strange situation, and I can't see it being as easy as him signing at Barca.

If reports are to be believed, he can literally sign for any club in the world right now. They can offer him a huge sign on fee, wages which Barca can't match, a new project, new brand exposure, and a legacy in a new country. I would be shocked if clubs like PSG didn't get in touch with him today.

I suspect he was never coming, even last window. He might have said he would but if he really wanted to leave he would have signed for us already without the jazz hands...

The only joy i will take from all this is that barca are fucked with or without him.

As his contract has expired, it now means if they do come to an agreement, messi will be classed a new signing who falls under ffp regs - so his huge salary is going to be a massive ffp headache for them

Can barca afford to do this as it would surely mean no other signings. Or in order to get it over the line will they have to forfit his image rights allowing messi to pocket the takings soley, which means another problem for barca

Last summer Messi erupted after an 8-2 annihilation in the CL, put in a transfer request and said he wanted to join City and work again with Pep. Barcelona and La Liga threatened to take him to court and coerced him into staying. But to some on here this was not evidence of a breakdown between Messi and Barcelona but a powerplay by Messi to get a change of board at the club and his loyalty was still rock solid. The elections came and went and in came Laporta, the answer to an Argentine's prayer. But no contract extension ensued and it became clear that not only did Laporta have any idea how to deal with Barcelona's increasingly pressing "financials" but he had little ,if any, real influence over Messi. Over six months, endless talk and no action. And now, this morning we have woken up to the impossible, the inconceivable - Messi has not signed a new contract and when he promised to say and do nothing until his season is over he meant it. But Barca are "comfortable" because all they have to sort out are "the financials" for him to stay! Until then he has left the club! No problem, nothing to worry about!

I admit freely I know nothing about Messi's future or intentions. But I bet Laporta and his colleagues are most certainly not sitting comfortably this morning and have little idea of Messi's intentions. And I certainly wouldn't be so smugly self-satisfied as to offer counselling to fellow blues who believe/hope tha Messi MIGHT just come to City. We all know nowt.
Did he? I don't remember that

I don't think Messi will join us, because I think City's transfer targets have moved on since last year. But it's a very strange situation, and I can't see it being as easy as him signing at Barca.

If reports are to be believed, he can literally sign for any club in the world right now. They can offer him a huge sign on fee, wages which Barca can't match, a new project, new brand exposure, and a legacy in a new country. I would be shocked if clubs like PSG didn't get in touch with him today.
You can say he can literally sign for any club in the world right now but the fact is he can't. With his wage demands he takes a pay cut with Barca or goes for a final big pay day with one of a few elite clubs. City, PSG & maybe Juve if they off load Ronaldo.

Last summer Messi erupted after an 8-2 annihilation in the CL, put in a transfer request and said he wanted to join City and work again with Pep. Barcelona and La Liga threatened to take him to court and coerced him into staying. But to some on here this was not evidence of a breakdown between Messi and Barcelona but a powerplay by Messi to get a change of board at the club and his loyalty was still rock solid. The elections came and went and in came Laporta, the answer to an Argentine's prayer. But no contract extension ensued and it became clear that not only did Laporta have any idea how to deal with Barcelona's increasingly pressing "financials" but he had little ,if any, real influence over Messi. Over six months, endless talk and no action. And now, this morning we have woken up to the impossible, the inconceivable - Messi has not signed a new contract and when he promised to say and do nothing until his season is over he meant it. But Barca are "comfortable" because all they have to sort out are "the financials" for him to stay! Until then he has left the club! No problem, nothing to worry about!

I admit freely I know nothing about Messi's future or intentions. But I bet Laporta and his colleagues are most certainly not sitting comfortably this morning and have little idea of Messi's intentions. And I certainly wouldn't be so smugly self-satisfied as to offer counselling to fellow blues who believe/hope tha Messi MIGHT just come to City. We all know nowt.

Nailed it.

Perhaps, re your last paragraph, Laporta IS extremely comfortable, knows and has known the outcome (of Messi leaving) for a while, and what he is publicly saying is what publicly needs said given he won an election on it. And Messi, out of respect for him from their previous era and out of love for Barcelona, is saying nothing to it on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.