Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would sign him solely for marketing if required, but he will give us at least 2 years, the money can be recouped from partner sponsors
Exactly.

Neymar alone got us lucrative deal with Jordan and subsequently a big raise with Nike.
Cristiano Ronaldo got Juve a raise with Adidas and with their main sponsor Jeep.

City is about to change its main sponsor (or renew Etihad?). Imagine how much of a raise you could ask after you have signed Messi !!!

RayCTID, if there is drama around Messi after he has signed for you, it is even better. More headlines, more media presence = more money. After lets say 3/4 years he will eventually leave but you'd made an huge leap as a brand.

Just look how some Real "fans" left for Juventus alongside Cristiano Ronaldo. You'd have the same with Messi and Barça fans. You'd close down on MU. Everyone would be excited to see "Messi in the PL".

That being said, i expect Barça to play their own version of PrisonSG. Will enjoy reading the mental gymnastics of FCBarça when that happens.

Exactly.

Neymar alone got us lucrative deal with Jordan and subsequently a big raise with Nike.
Cristiano Ronaldo got Juve a raise with Adidas and with their main sponsor Jeep.

City is about to change its main sponsor (or renew Etihad?). Imagine how much of a raise you could ask after you have signed Messi !!!

RayCTID, if there is drama around Messi after he has signed for you, it is even better. More headlines, more media presence = more money. After lets say 3/4 years he will eventually leave but you'd made an huge leap as a brand.

Just look how some Real "fans" left for Juventus alongside Cristiano Ronaldo. You'd have the same with Messi and Barça fans. You'd close down on MU. Everyone would be excited to see "Messi in the PL".

That being said, i expect Barça to play their own version of PrisonSG. Will enjoy reading the mental gymnastics of FCBarça when that happens.

Our media would hate the idea of Messi playing for us...

Our media would hate the idea of Messi playing for us...
They would hate it but they would still be excited. ^^

Sometimes haters can be very devoted followers. Most of Messi die hard fans know exactly what Cristiano Ronaldo is doing (they watch games to mock him or to be angry when he gets his tap in or penalty kick to save his games).

People are weird.

At the end of the day, it would still be buzz/publicity for City with that coverage.

Example :

I didn't even know about the AljazeeraParis perfumes being a PSG fan. Thanks to the haters i know. I swear they do more publicity to Qatar than PSG actively does.

@Parisian Not when the it is seem like a ticking timebomb and could royally fuck up the team dynamic we are trying to build. Its far from perfect as it is (Lyon game being prime example). Commercially he still has appeal and it will give City a bit of a boost but he is coming up to his 34th birthday. Not much time left as a World Class player. Neymar joined PSG when he was fully in his prime. And that hasn't completely gone smoothly either. Like I said I will back him if he joins, and if it was a few seasons ago then I would be more excited with the signing.

Last edited:
100m for the best player in the world for 3 years - 33m a year give or take

In the world where Maguire is 80m and Sane with 1 left on his contract is 45m (at least) and various others that anyone can quote, Messi is easily worth 100m and probably more
Where's this 100m coming from? Messi has an escape clause written into his contract at Barça which states that he is able to leave at the end of any of the remaining seasons left on his contract, on the condition that he gives the club a month's notice. The deadline is October 5, City can sign him next month for free.

@Parisian Not when the it is seem like a ticking timebomb and could royally fuck up the team dynamic we are trying to build. Its far from perfect as it is (Lyon game being prime example). Commercially he still has appeal and it will give City a bit of a boost but he is coming up to his 34th birthday. Neymar joined PSG when he was fully in his prime. Like I said I will back him if he joins.

He just turned 33. We'd get him for the season he's 33, 34 and 35 at least.

I don't think he messes up any team dynamic, if anything, the club would likely move to surround him with younger players (lower wages) which would leave a team of <25 year olds behind.

I think if you get a chance to sign one of, if not the best player in history, you just do it. The on pitch jump is incredible, the off pitch stuff is transformative and in this era of FFP, that money turns into a very real competitive advantage.

Players will force moves to play with him, academy kids will stick around to train with him, people like Foden and Bernardo would learn off him every day, and he raises the level of the players around him.

Also I think Pep rates him so highly that I think it would change the mentality of the whole club. You've got Messi, you can beat anyone - and we badly need that feeling around the club.

Also remember no one is suggesting we sack off all the other transfers we have in mind. We're fixing the problems in the side, and then, if he decides to jump, adding Messi.

Where's this 100m coming from? Messi has an escape clause written into his contract at Barça which states that he is able to leave at the end of any of the remaining seasons left on his contract, on the condition that he gives the club a month's notice. The deadline is October 5, City can sign him next month for free.

There's rumour that might have expired in May, but we don't really know.

It's interesting that Pol Ballus and Lu Martin, the 2 catalan journalists very close to Pep are retweeting all the RAC1 stuff about him being half out the door.

Also, reliable sources say Koeman is planning on getting rid of Suarez - he and Messi's family are incredibly close, they are neighbours, the wives + kids are best friends, they all go on holiday together. Hard to see him leaving if Messi was staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.