Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except, it's a billion dollar football club, and not a woman being beaten up, so it's not really like that at all. A multi millionaire getting more money out of a billionaire club is not quite the same as hitting a woman is it? Bit harsh and not a fair moral comparison. I get your metaphor in a way, but its worth remembering that Messi probs has little sympathy for Barcelona's finances, and in all truth, why should he? He probably can't stand the current chairmen and leadership team too. Doesn't mean he doesn't love the city, the fans, what the club means to him, the staff who he works with on a day to day basis etc. The club will still be ridiculously rich and win trophies long after he's gone. They'll clear that debt and get money off the state or sumat like they always have. Also, he's Lionel fucking Messi. If I was possibly the greatest ever in my job you're damn right i'd use my position to make sure the situation unfolded how I wanted it to if I could.

The only problem is that of precedence. It’s never ending turmoil with Messi. He’s laid his bed and now he has to lie in it. Nev’s metaphor was dramatic, but also apropos. Would you want Kev signing continuous never ending massive pay raises on one deal years every season? Barca’s in shambles. It’s not just messi you have to worry about every season but transfers, unhappy players, managers, the board, etc. Absolutely toxic.

edit: basically said the same things while I was posting. Cheers pal. I’d have him in a heart beat but it doesn’t come without contingencies.

Last edited:
Only on bluemoon would people be debating positives and negatives about signing the greatest player of all time. Fck me.

I don’t think the point of debate is that he is or isn’t the worlds best player (albeit on the wane), the point of debate is whether having him would improve us or destroy our wage structure, our team play dynamic and reduce our output.

Messi is still brilliant as an individual player but all play goes through him, or else, and that diminishes what Barca are as a team.
Barca play in a weaker league than we do, but the Messi effect is that they score less than us and concede more than we do.
Last season Barca scored 86 and conceded 38 league goals & we scored 102 and conceded 35 in a tougher league.
This is because Messi isn’t a team player. He reduces overall offensive performance because the fantastic players around him are required to play for him, rather than the team, and he reduces defensive performance because he doesn’t defend (mostly walks around in the middle of the opposition half nowadays). Their attack is blunted and they play with 10 men whenever they don’t have the ball.
Yes he’s individually brilliant, get the whole team working for Messi and he’ll score 30 wonderful league goals but we’ll score less overall as a team.
The point is that he’d cost a fortune and cause more harm than good.
I keep hearing all this “don’t think about it, pay whatever, he’s the goat” stuff and those saying that have clearly taken their own advice and not thought about it.
I say, do think it through and be very careful what you wish for.

I don’t think the point of debate is that he is or isn’t the worlds best player (albeit on the wane), the point of debate is whether having him would improve us or destroy our wage structure, our team play dynamic and reduce our output.

Messi is still brilliant as an individual player but all play goes through him, or else, and that diminishes what Barca are as a team.
Barca play in a weaker league than we do, but the Messi effect is that they score less than us and concede more than we do.
Last season Barca scored 86 and conceded 38 league goals & we scored 102 and conceded 35 in a tougher league.
This is because Messi isn’t a team player. He reduces overall offensive performance because the fantastic players around him are required to play for him, rather than the team, and he reduces defensive performance because he doesn’t defend (mostly walks around in the middle of the opposition half nowadays). Their attack is blunted and they play with 10 men whenever they don’t have the ball.
Yes he’s individually brilliant, get the whole team working for Messi and he’ll score 30 wonderful league goals but we’ll score less overall as a team.
The point is that he’d cost a fortune and cause more harm than good.
I keep hearing all this “don’t think about it, pay whatever, he’s the goat” stuff and those saying that have clearly taken their own advice and not thought about it.
I say, do think it through and be very careful what you wish for.
In what world does he not improve us? we have been embarassed the last 4 years in the CL for starters. He is a guaranteed success.

As for wage structure, I really don't get this point. Yes, he will be on big wages, he is the best player ever. Do we think hes going to come in at 100k and then maybe get a bigger one if he proves himself?

If a single player in our current squad could muster the courage to go and knock on Pep's door and say I want parity with Messi then we have a much bigger problem.

Just the 90 mil py then.

And keeps threatening to leave, to get more, but loves them.

How much do you think he brings in? It's way more. £20m of the £90m is his slice of image rights.

The key point is that he's not eating up their wage budget and hurting the team around him because of it, they should have the best squad in Europe without Messi going off the wage bill and transfer spend.

Last edited:
In what world does he not improve us? we have been embarassed the last 4 years in the CL for starters. He is a guaranteed success.

As for wage structure, I really don't get this point. Yes, he will be on big wages, he is the best player ever. Do we think hes going to come in at 100k and then maybe get a bigger one if he proves himself?

If a single player in our current squad could muster the courage to go and knock on Pep's door and say I want parity with Messi then we have a much bigger problem.

I think the general point of this debate isn’t about wages, wage structure, him improving us, will be track back etc...

It’s more about long term ramifications for his legacy, the clubs legacy, peps legacy, etc. If we pull the trigger everything is on the line on literally one or two seasons. You’re basically risking it all for something that isn’t a lock while looking INCREDIBLY foolish (Ronaldo x10) if it doesn’t come off perfectly and the probability is that it won’t in a footballing sense.

I don’t give two Fucks about football twitter or the media but I also don’t necessarily want to risk even more scrutiny while getting no respect if we win. Perfect example of a rock and a hard place, yeah?

@domalino thoughts?

We can all debate the rights or wrongs of signing Messi but one thing is nailed on, if he indicates he will join us we will be in like a rat up a drainpipe, it lifts us to the most high profile club in the world, the worlds sporting media and every armchair fan will decend upon us, whether you think that’s a good thing or not is up for debate, personally i would love to see Messi in the blue shirt.

How much do you think he brings in? It's way more. £20m of the £90m is his slice of image rights.

Can you explain how him pretending he is leaving, every few years, then getting a pay rise, is done for love of the club ?

If Van Dijk does it next season & signs up, & Liverpool sell it as 'love' as in 'this means more' what will our reaction be, when we stop laughing ?

Barca get away with this bullshit all the time.

Messi has had them by the balls, for years

Can you explain how him pretending he is leaving, every few years, then getting a pay rise, is done for love of the club ?

If Van Dijk does it next season & signs up, & Liverpool sell it as 'love' as in 'this means more' what will our reaction be, when we stop laughing ?

Barca get away with this bullshit all the time.

Messi has had them by the balls, for years

Have to agree. There’s way too much for him to risk moving when he’s already considered the GOAT by pretty much everyone. His legacy is complete. He’s got nothing else to fight for except his perpetual pay rise.

I don’t think he’s got the balls to come the premier league.

Runners up in la liga, quarter finals of the CL is a shitshow? What terms did you use to describe our seasons under Ball and Clarke?

Team and squad divisions in the team should be factored in. We had already had a taster with the whole Balotelli scenario (with an added bonus of his agent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.