Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread

All the stories written before a ball had been kicked describing how Salah returned to form gloriously, how Klopp out thought Pep yet again and how City were blown away by a mighty Liverpool tornado urged on by a packed Kop which unnerved City by screeching 1950s musicals had to be ripped up. The new line was how Pep had been forced to abandon his principles and turn a game against the best attacking team in the world into a goalless snore draw. Pep is even at fault for entrusting a potentially match winning penalty to a serial penalty misser.

Mahrez did miss a penalty, but that's all he did. Pep trusted him and he missed it. He didn't commit high treason, he didn't kill anyone and he didn't throw a brick at a coach. He missed a penalty. And I'm glad to report that City players consoled him, John Stones gave him support in the post match interviews, he did not have to leave the pitch on his own like a leper and I don't believe there has been any nonsense like death threats from demented "fans" - unlike the fate of a certain goalkeeper who offended that cheery bunch of scousers at the other end of the east Lancs road. City are a team and a club, and I'm proud to say they behaved with a dignity and class quite alien to our opponents yesterday.

As for the match yesterday, I thought it was intriguing but quite clearly Pep out thought Klopp. City lined up with a back four in a normal Guardiola 4-3-3 and Klopp expected the normal splitting of the CBs and the advanced full backs. This was naive as the last thing Pep was likely to do was order his troops to throw themselves on Liverpool's sword. All four of our back line showed admirable discipline and Liverpool were shown to be completely devoid of ideas when deprived of space behind the full backs and Mendy, in particular, was careful always to prevent Salah cutting inside onto his left foot. This is why Salah "looked a pale shadow of last season's player". I can't remember Ederson having a save to make in the entire match (and City were able to play out from the back in relative comfort). Part of the reason is that Liverpool's fullbacks didn't push up, as they have tended to stay deeper this season and because City's midfield is better than theirs and will exploit the space either side of their CB's. As the game wore on only one side looked likely to score. The penalty was the clearest opportunity but these things happen.

Good stuff. Spot on and well written.

Not sure how people could think that was a boring game, it was a masterclass from Pep. The reasoning behind playing Mahrez were not apparent to begin with but as the game went on it was clear as day, he got the ball and kept it, slowed the pace down as Liverpool want it to be as fast as possible to transition between phases of play. Everyone played their role to a tee, maybe Mendy was a bit missing on that but its understandable. Bringing on Sane was probably how Pep had envisioned we would win this game and it nearly came off! Excellent performance, excellent game and its exactly how i want us to approach Liverpool, don't play to their strengths but accentuate their weaknesses and then counter them. Imagine if we would have had Kev.

I didn’t find it boring but I’m sure the non City and Liverpool fans watching maybe did!

Top Of the league without KDB and having the hardest start between Us, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Our games against Arsenal A, 3 points , Liverpool A, 1 point (missed pen) and Wolves A 1 point. goal against us was hand ball

You could argue Arsenal have had a fairly
Tricky one with us and Chelsea up first.

I love how Wolves have suddenly become one of the teams to beat. We should have won there. That was a disappointing result for me. Yesterday was a good one.

Not sure how people could think that was a boring game, it was a masterclass from Pep. The reasoning behind playing Mahrez were not apparent to begin with but as the game went on it was clear as day, he got the ball and kept it, slowed the pace down as Liverpool want it to be as fast as possible to transition between phases of play. Everyone played their role to a tee, maybe Mendy was a bit missing on that but its understandable. Bringing on Sane was probably how Pep had envisioned we would win this game and it nearly came off! Excellent performance, excellent game and its exactly how i want us to approach Liverpool, don't play to their strengths but accentuate their weaknesses and then counter them. Imagine if we would have had Kev.
Perfect post. Pep has figured them out.

Boring game but a point will do despite the penalty miss.

Too many city fans jumping on the fake hatred of liverpool band wagon, with the united songs, very different from 10 years ago or even 6.
I did not find it boring.

Boring game but a point will do despite the penalty miss.

Too many city fans jumping on the fake hatred of liverpool band wagon, with the united songs, very different from 10 years ago or even 6.

Boring??
And regarding the fake hatred; i had a softish for lfc from the 70's onwards. Great teams and great players. Wasn't overkeen on the scouse hoolie during the 80's but enjoyed them giving the rags shit. In fact i had no issues with the scouse family up until a couple of seasons ago. I find their treatment of Sterling annoying and wondered at the hypocrisy given Coutinho couldn't get out fast enough and they still cheered him.
Then we had the chumps league debacle, sponsored by the club, coppers and blind ref's. Seeing those twats bricking the bus pissed me right off. Normally i'd have wanted them to go on and win the comp' but i laughed my cock off at Ramos' masterful fucking up of their 'destiny'.
On top of all that, the fuckers slagging Sterling off when playing for England finally did it for me and now i will happily give any red scouse the shite they deserve, and there will be nothing 'fake' about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.