Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread

Don't know about anyone else but I'm even more confident we'll win the league after that.

That's my feeling as well. With that ref I never expected a penalty, so I've kind of forgotten it now (at least I'm trying).

Thank god that game is over, I was sick of the scouse lovefest this past week and whatever post match spin they put on it the scousers did not deserve to win that game. Hopefully that'll be our only trip to that shit pit this season and if Liverpool are our only serious challengers, then I'm like you, I'm even more confident we'll win the league.

When we got penalty, Aguero wasn't on field.
Sterling wasn't on field.

Felt this miss was written in stars.
We simply don't have luck to win there.

On flip side,we aren't playing at top level and we can take our game to next level.
Kevin returns soon.
Few players wont go on international duty.
Hopefully we start a new run from Oct 20 with all guns blazing

As it's also unsettling to switch takers so late, it's a mistake by the bench.

What was the thinking? Give him confidence? Some tactical edge? Can't possibly have been his record.

Looks like maybe Pep flapped.
With the League Cup game just gone, I assume they've had some penalty taking sessions in training, and maybe Mahrez was the most consistent. We've allowed Aguero to work through some pretty dodgy penalty stats in the past, so maybe Pep thought Mahrez was ready to change the narrative. In hindsight it's a terrible decision, but even with Mahrez' recent record, he wasn't definitely going to miss, and there was considerable upside if he'd scored the winner.

Positives - We took a point away against our biggest rivals for the league without our best player (KDB).

I thought Stones and especially Laporte looked rock solid. Laporte had one of the better games I've seen a CB play in a City shirt. The whole back 4 and GK looked compossed and confident. Mendy could have done a bit more going forward, but I understand he had Salah to worry about. In the midfield I thought D Silva was a bit off today, B Silva and Fern weren't at their best, but were decent. I thought Sterling did well to not let the crowd get in his head. Aguero didn't have much to do, but guarantee he wouldn't have missed the penalty. Sane did well when he came on to draw the penalty. Jesus didn't do all that much when he came on, but pressed hard and did well to put pressure.

Negatives - I'm sorry, but I never understood why we signed Mahrez in the first place. We didn't/don't need him. I think he actually makes us worse, with Sane/Sterling/Silva out wide we're more dangerous and free flowing. Mahrez is a good player, but doesn't seem to fit our style with the ball. Yes he has a decent defensive work rate and applies pressure, but it's not nothing spectacular. With the ball he is a bit selfish and many times breaks up the flow of how we play. We pass, pass, pass, pass and pass then when Mahrez gets it the whole thing slows down. Yes, at times the same thing can be said of Sane, but Sane makes things happen. Yeah, Mahrez has a few goals recently, but overall since he's been here be hasn't usually produced great end product either. Sane, Sterling and Silva are all better players, plain and simple. No wonder Sane has bad body language, he wins young player of the year, and then we bring in a lesser player who now starts ahead of him.

THE PENALTY- When Leicester won the title I remember Mahrez taking penalties away from Vardy. He does not have a good record (7/12 in PL). I don't know if it was a coaching decision or if Mahrez decided to step up. Either way, he should have not taken that pen.

Oh well, we're top of the table. I'll take it.

Sorry for any offence caused, because I've not see the previous pages, and may have been mentioned before, but

puts tin hat on

Yaya scores that pen

takes tin hat off, and runs for the hills.

Sorry lads

One problem- just before you run to the hills - he doesn’t play for us anymore so it’s the most stupid comment. Anyway, by that time in the game he would have been knackered & off the pitch. You could say Franny would have scored it.

We showed courage and belief today with a tough mentality. This is great progress and bodes well for the season. The penalty miss is overshadowing these positives.
Mahrez will make amends in the future. Some hate posters on here are a disgrace.
Kev coming back, Mendy getting up to speed and Delph back for Burnley.
We're top of the League!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.