Liverpool FA Cup s/f (N) | Post Match Thread

For the fans slating Jesus for the finish. Yeah he should score but this happens. Haaland missed on similar against us did he not?

These things happen, especially to a player who’s constantly in and out of a team. People expect way to much of Jesus at times. The main thing for me is he gets himself in some fantastic positions and never stops making runs.
I get what your saying, all strikers miss chances, but the difference between Haaland and Jesus is, if that's Haaland who misses I'm surprised. Jesus on the other hand as soon as he went through I wasn't convinced he'd score. I love how hard he works, but for me he ain't at the level required. I also don't think people are expecting too much of an international striker to bag a one on one in a big game.

Was worried when I saw the lineup that it would be a hammering, and that it would impact the remainder of the season with us getting nought while the reds getting the quad. We still lost but at least the scoreline was respectable and hopefully a motivator. Can't let them get the quad, as that would be an inaccurate representation of the greatest team in the premier league.

We have to treat every league game like a cup final from here on out so I'm not that bothered about the team selection today (bar Steffen), especially as Atletico seemed determined to kick lumps out of us on Wednesday. Found it pretty funny though how we fielded a weakened side, went out of our way to lose it in the first half and still made the scousers sweat.

A few reflections on the drive home back to Altrincham. 1. We looked jaded. Understandably so. Even the players who didn't play in the game midweek would have been affected by the travel and I feared on the way to the game that we might not put in the kind of high energy, high commitment performance that we are used to in big games. We had a battle (literally) on Tuesday and their 1st XI put their feet up all week and it showed. 2. Steffen is our Cup goalkeeper just as Claudio and Willy have been in the past and we know that before the season starts. It gives the backup an incentive to train hard and feel part of the team ethos that City have clearly developed under Pep. He had a shocker for the 2nd goal, he obviously isn't as good as Eddy and it will be said that he cost us the game but I have no issues over selection and no beef with Pep for picking him. It's easy to point fingers when things don't go your way. 3. Fern is moving on at the right time. I love the guy, we will definitely miss his experience around the place and he could still do a job for someone in a lesser, slower league but his legs have gone at this level. 4. Jesus, Zinchenko and the other players that are getting hammered on here for not being good enough are good enough...they just aren't in our best XI which we need to play against Liverpool's best XI. They are about as good a backup player as you are likely to get and are key men for us in the run in against teams that aren't Liverpool. 5. We are still a very, very good football team and we are capable of winning every game between now and the end of the season. 6. Ake is looking like £40m well spent.

Really disappointing first half in which we didn't get going at all but stay calm Blues, be dignified in defeat and if you are feeling down just remember that this period of dominance will not last forever and make sure that you enjoy every single minute of it.....even the down moments.

See you all on Wed and in Madrid! CTID
Good post lad

I think Stones held our shambles of a defence together in the first half. Without him City would have been in even deeper shit!
Agreed, he was playing with 4 changes & I highly doubt he’s ever looked to his right & seen Joao then back across to Ake & Zinny, with Steffen behind, 3 players that have hardly kicked a ball this season, yet we all expect miracles out of them & the players that play alongside. I gave John motm as I thought he thoroughly deserved it, stepped into midfield with authority, won his individual battles & gave the ball away far less than the rest, he would of learnt some valuable leadership lessons today

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I was proud of the lads. The first half was exactly what I expected against the second best team in Europe with 5 changes and, arguably, our two most important players out and no striker to speak of.

That we pulled two goals back, should have scored more and made the scousers start whistling for time and, indeed, made a game of it for the neutrals speaks volumes about the character of the team in adversity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.