Liverpool (h) - CL QF post match thread

There's still people trying to debate Sané's goal was offside annoyingly.

Some people --clutching at straws-- hastily pointed out that the keeper being ahead of him means he'd need two defenders level with him to be onside, the only time that would come into play was from the last moment a City player other than Sané touched the ball... so it's completely irrelevant.

There's been arguments about deflections not counting and it simply bounced off Milner(which is rubbish because he HAD to do it but I'll get to that) so I will try and clear it up once and for all.

If you watch the footage closely there's actually 3 phases and he's onside for all of them:

1) The ball in from De Bruyne is the last time a City player touches the ball other than Sané and the whole Liverpool backline is playing him on. This is the only time Sané could have been offside unless a City player touches the ball after that, which they don't.

2) The point missed by most is Karius comes off his line and punches the ball away, this cannot be a deflection in anyones eyes and pretty much renders the last point moot but even if it reset the offside rule he'd still be onside.

3) Milner clearly moves his knee towards the ball(not a natural movement) and since he intended to get in the way of it, it cannot be considered a deflection. Secondly, who is likely to get on the end of Karius' clearance if Milner doesn't get something on it?(It's Sterling btw) Is it likely Milner was going to risk leaving that ball? Not a chance, so he did mean it.

3 Levels of onside say that goal should have stood.

Last edited:
You mean Sané's goal? That was right at the end of the first half and you are correct it was definitely onside:

Some people --clutching at straws-- hastily pointed out that the keeper being ahead of him means he'd need two defenders level with him to be onside, the only time that would come into play was from the last moment a City player other than Sané touched the ball... so it's completely irrelevant.

There's been arguments about deflections not counting and it simply bounced off Milner(which is rubbish because he HAD to do it but I'll get to that) so I will try and clear it up once and for all.

If you watch the footage closely there's actually 3 phases and he's onside for all of them:

1) The ball in from De Bruyne is the last time a City player touches the ball other than Sané and the whole Liverpool backline is playing him on. This is the only time Sané could have been offside unless a City player touches the ball after that, which they don't.

2) The point missed by most is Karius comes off his line and punches the ball away, this cannot be a deflection in anyones eyes and pretty much renders the last point moot but even if it reset the offside rule he'd still be onside.

3) Milner clearly moves his knee towards the ball(not a natural movement) and since he intended to get in the way of it, it cannot be considered a deflection. Secondly watching the footage, who is likely to get on the end of Karius' clearance if Milner doesn't get something on it?(It's Sterling btw) Is it likely Milner was going to risk leaving that ball? Not a chance, so he did mean it.

3 Levels of onside say that goal should have stood.

That is a very good explanation and is exactly the way I understood it. None of the pundits on BT sport told us this in the post match analysis and the commentators such as mcpoint a lot just glossed over it when it happened. I don't think they understood. Poor.

You could get a job on BT sport? Or maybe not - you know the rules too well and are not biased against City !

in all honesty apart from being pissed off on the day/night...none of them have bothered me that much. Usually a derby defeat would leave me pissed for around a week, but because of the bigger picture involved in all of this I have found that it hasnt.

The two games against Liverpool are still really pissing me off. 1) For the amount of shit decisions against us. 2) because it's scummy Liverpool 3) We've been awesome this season and feel this team could have gone far in champions league.

Like the champions league or not, the longer we go without truly competing in finals or winning finals, Utd and Liverpool will always use it as a stick to beat us with.

That is a very good explanation and is exactly the way I understood it. None of the pundits on BT sport told us this in the post match analysis and the commentators such as mcpoint a lot just glossed over it when it happened. I don't think they understood. Poor.

You could get a job on BT sport? Or maybe not - you know the rules too well and are not biased against City !
Haha too true, I also noticed their official highlights for the first leg STILL don't even show the Sterling penalty incident, you would think forgetting it once was enough. I wonder if the studio referee got in trouble for bringing that up... they could have swept it completely under the rug if it wasn't for him.

Even the late Gundogan goal was onside, nothing was made of it because the tie was already dead.

So that's THREE goals all incorrectly ruled out as offside - one a precious away goal.

Two penalty decisions going against us.

Salah's first goal offside.

Couple that with a smashed up bus and a manager sent to the stands, we might as well not have bothered.

As much as people might be against it, this City side spends that much time attacking and in possession that we seriously need VAR brought in to stop us getting fucked over. Still can't believe how literally no one in the media has mentioned how badly we were done over, it's simply a matter of Liverpool were fucking amazing and Salahs the next Messi. Absolute joke

I've not seen it a replay, I long gave over giving a shit, but is there any actual video proof it was onside ?

So here is a replay of the full match. Scroll down to the comments to the 2nd half link.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/...ity-vs-liverpool-highlights-full-match-video/

Gündogan's goal happened at 80:10 on the match clock.

I think it IS offside.
Sané has to start later, as he is quick enough to use his advantage of pace and also beeing behind the defender.
He has to learn and Pep will have seen several similar moments in that match.
The young lad will get better.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.