Liverpool (H) | Post match thread

Forgot how bad that Sterling miss was at the start of the game, yeah we scored shortly after - but my god....

From the other angle it’s a great save.

A lot of our “bad misses” yesterday were tiny Liverpool interventions. Matip got a tiny touch to take the ball away from Sterling in the next chance, Mahrez’s chip got a tiny touch, fodens shot that just missed left got nicked.

The biggest miss of the game was Rodri not being able to head the ball square for a Stones tap in.

Liverpool are ruthless up top, but I believe Klopp is struggling to keep the rest of the team up with them and will have to evolve against City with that defence and midfield.
Was thinking the same thing....posted earlier about the intensity that personified Klopp and his team in his first couple of seasons seems to have almost vanished....

Another thing Ive noticed is that Mane ( a player i do really like) never looks happy....I do wonder if he hates being in Salah's shadow? - wonder if there is friction there?

Thought the exact same thing..I was under the impression that VAR had to chec something if a goal was scored.....I know the ref blew before Foden hit the ball so does that cancel that out ....

I was under the impression VAR hd to check. if a goal was scored

Yes but to be fair Liverpool stopped playing on hearing the whistle. It didn't look a foul to me. Small margins, like the Sterling offside. It certainly suits the premier league to keep it close, they'll be hoping to the last game.

Yes but to be fair Liverpool stopped playing on hearing the whistle. It didn't look a foul to me. Small margins, like the Sterling offside. It certainly suits the premier league to keep it close, they'll be hoping to the last game.
The keeper dived for it didnt he so he didnt stop playing and they may have stopped playing but from my recollection it was a split second from the whistle to foden hitting it.....could be wrong though

The keeper dived for it didnt he so he didnt stop playing and they may have stopped playing but from my recollection it was a split second from the whistle to foden hitting it.....could be wrong though

It's longer than you remember. I'm pretty sure Foden heard the whistle before he shot, you could see people stop playing.

I'm starting to get pissed off how Liverpool's narrative is being attached to our own achievements and greatness over the five or six years.

The difference between the teams yesterday was there for all to see, as is the fact, Pep has had Klopp's number in all the games since the Champions League exit to them.

Tactically, style, results, trophies,goals, clean sheets, we are ahead in every metric.

It's even got to the point now where the media are manipulating the stats to not factor in in our 2018 title win, as that would obviously evidence the points/trophies by both teams since then has a big differential.

I read yesterday that Pep is three games short of quickest to 200 Prem League wins - despite playing thirty-odd games less than Klopp and arriving a year later.

Liverpool are ruthless up top, but I believe Klopp is struggling to keep the rest of the team up with them and will have to evolve against City with that defence and midfield.
The one that gets me is the “these two teams are dominating the league having shared the title over the past 4 seasons”. I mean technically true but we have won 3 of them. Why not extended the timeframe and bring Chelsea and/Leicester into the mix who have also won titles?

For me, this season is so important for how this period is judged. 4 titles in 5 years is complete domination of the league. 3 titles v 2 titles is a different story.

Now the adrenaline from the game has subsided and I've slept on it my feeling today is we let them off the hook. We should be four points clear but I'll take the positive, it's still in our hands.

Having watched the game back Ederson should have done better on their first goal. He has to save that. I know he's great with his feet and passing ( one blip aside yesterday) and yes he does make some good saves but he's culpable on letting in some soft ones too. A bit like peak Hart with his left side weakness.

Taylor is getting praise for letting the game flow but there's a difference in doing that and ignoring bad fouls that should be yellows. Liverpool could easily have had two sent off yesterday if he'd done his job properly. Also he was quick to book one of our most tenacious tacklers, Bernardo, meaning he had to tread carefully for most of the game. The Foden "goal" he shouldn't have blown so quickly but let it play out and let var check if there was a foul in the build up.

Jesus on the whole had a good game but he's been here a while now to know he needs to pass instead of going for personal glory in trying to score from impossible angles. A cooler head and a pass and we could have scored a couple more.

We have to win all our games now as I think Liverpool will win all theirs. Sure we're the better side but they're more clinical up front and will probably score every game, meaning the opposition had to score twice to bear them. That's a big ask.
round of applause,

That doesn't make sense to me? How can they have a better xg when they had about 5x less chances than us? I suppose its not beyond the realms that I don't understand how it's meant to work.
Over a season, and most of the time it balances out, but you will get quirks. Have a look at this one, where you can click on the actual shots to see the xg.

There goals came from pretty easy chances (0.8 combined xG) , whereas ours were from chances that together added up to just 0.25 xG. Mahrez hit the post from that free kick which feels like a great chance, but free kicks aren't often scored, so it was only down as 0.08 xG. I've not watched highlights yet, but didn't we have a couple of great chances that were then called offside? Also you've got the Sterling goal not counting in the xG even though it's inches away from being onside. Once or twice players slid in for tap ins, but just didn't make the connection, so they're zero xG as there wasn't a shot. For Mahrez's chance at the end - we see the pass for Foden as a clear chance, but xG sees a tricky chip over the keeper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.