Liverpool (N) | Community Shield | Post-Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate losing, especially to these lot, somehow it’s now worse than losing to the rags. Having read through the forums on this site since the final whistle, some fans are having a meltdown and yes we were well off the pace but we didn’t win the Community Shield last season if I remember. Talking of the other forums some posters are referring to a player called Trent? Anyone enlighten me. I thought players went by their surname or am I old fashioned ?
It’s never worse than losing to the rags but it’s close

We have only played three pre season games. They have played 6. Other teams have played more but I think Pep is taking the World Cup into account

Obviously really early days but this could be a season of transition for us. Why? Well we've lost three great members of the squad who know our system backwards. We've also lost Jesus and Sterling's goals and assists. Sure they have their critics and both miss chances but overall their stats stand up. Alvarez and Haaland could of course step up to the plate but it could take time. Haaland in particular was mainly a passenger today but we have to find a different way of playing to get the best out of him. Lots of work on the training ground.

Grealish continues to disappoint. He provides nothing at all, no real threat or end product. Mahrez was at his greedy frustrating best and everyone else was off the pace, probably understandably. We need a left back. Cancelo was getting done and caught out of position time after time, but Salah is an exceptional talent. All things considered though with a little more luck and better finishing we could also have won the game, in spite of being second best for periods in it. Unfortunately the scouse vermin are not going away and will still be our main challengers.
Great post.

Just sat watching in a bar full of Chester scouse bastards in Turkey. Didn't realise they had won the league. Didn't show my allegiance but apparently we paid £150m for Haaland!

Caveat before the analysis is that we have had two warm up games

However some big things on show

1. Our press in the first half was none existent.....Haaland has a lot to learn and Grealish and Mahrez are just so poor at it. This isnt about pre season with Grealish and Mahrez as they have both been previously poor at it...noteable change to the team shape and work rate when Foden and Alvarez came on.

2. Mahrez again goes missing in games where there is real intensity to it.......this is a consistent issue with him....the most naturally gifted player we have since David Silva left and yet he has half the effort of the David Silva....which is why he should and will never be considered in the same very top bracket as him

3. Grealish - sorry he was poor (again!) Huge season for him and it didnt start well...he needs to take responsibility...Alvarez in his short cameo showed far more intensity and ability. Grealish needs to stop trying to win free kicks and start to try winning football games

4. bernardo is much more effective further forward...you can see he works hard dropping deep but he far more effective further forward....Pep needs to work out how to balance him and KDB in the same team...again Bernardo's intensity is much more effective further forward and also seeminlgy better when central or on the right.

5. Cancello - drop the fucking attitude.......a fabulous player but you can almost see at times he is going to have a bad half or bad game with how he presents on the pitch

Alvarez....His brief cameo was very impressive..link up play, pressing, first touch .....he could be some player and should start the first prem game (he obviously has an advantage on the rest of our players as he is still match fit as well from is previous season with River Plate

Haaland....has so so much to learn and develop.....Kun had to learn and he will as well except Kun already knew how to be a goal scorer in the prem ...This lad needs to start working harder for starters, his movement was lazy in the middle third, his first touch was poor at times.....and he doesnt use his physicality at all esp with his back to goal.....VVD and Matip had an easy time against him - We also need to learn to play with him as well which is the other side of this coin but Alvarez seems to have learnt this (or knows it already).

Pep has work to do

Result is inconsequential...the preformance however isnt. We looked disjointed (not for the first time in the community shield so again forgiveable)

And still won the league. Pep knows it’s a long old season and that extra rest might not look good now, but come feb and March it makes a difference.
Think they actually say in the new Together documentary that we deliberately don’t go hard in pre-season so that we’re in better shape at the business end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.