Liverpool or United - Which fixture is more important?

Last time we really exerted ourselves was in the Carabao Cup Final on 25th February, since then:
  • 01/03/18 - Arsenal away - strolled through second half.
  • 04/03/18 - Chelsea home - after taking lead at the start of the second half we just passed the ball around as Chelsea players looked on.
  • 07/03/18 - Basel home - lukewarm display with not much effort expended.
  • 12/03/18 - Stoke away - absolute men against boys with minimum effort required.
  • 31/03/18 - Everton away - after 19 day break we tore them apart before half time and rested up in the second half.
Do not see any reason why we can't go full strength over the next three games, baring injuries, to ensure the League title and CL semi final spot. In fact two thumping wins away at Anfield and home to the Scum would probably do the trick.

I think Pep might feel the same way and just be doing a bit of kidology with his statements.

A masterstroke by Pep. After the Everton win there was a fair bit of euphoria from the players, clearly salivating at the prospect of winning the title against United. Pep has basically told them "Well you might not be playing against United so can you please focus on the Liverpool game?"

Its also creates mayhem for Mourinho's preparations for the game. Should he spend all week working on his plan to stop Silva & De Bruyne when one or both might not start? How big a bus will he need?

Pep will obviously make the 2 or 3 changes that he always makes whenever we have played a game in midweek. He might also decide to give Kompany a rest since 4 games in 11 days could be too big a risk. Whether he goes further and rests players such as De Bruyne, Silva, Fernandhino, Sane or Walker is a different matter. If those players want to play against United then they have an even greater incentive to kill off the CL tie tommorrow.
Spot on

Last time we really exerted ourselves was in the Carabao Cup Final on 25th February, since then:
  • 01/03/18 - Arsenal away - strolled through second half.
  • 04/03/18 - Chelsea home - after taking lead at the start of the second half we just passed the ball around as Chelsea players looked on.
  • 07/03/18 - Basel home - lukewarm display with not much effort expended.
  • 12/03/18 - Stoke away - absolute men against boys with minimum effort required.
  • 31/03/18 - Everton away - after 19 day break we tore them apart before half time and rested up in the second half.
Do not see any reason why we can't go full strength over the next three games, baring injuries, to ensure the League title and CL semi final spot. In fact two thumping wins away at Anfield and home to the Scum would probably do the trick.

I think Pep might feel the same way and just be doing a bit of kidology with his statements.
Again, spot on

As to which is most important, depends on whether by the end of the season we have the CL.

The PL is won, barring an apocalypse.

The CL is an ongoing lottery. (I might have to have an excessive amount of beer to keep calm to be able to watch, if we reach the final).

If we play mostly 2nd or even 3rd string against United, I’d be meh about any potential loss - it would be bad for the very short term until the PL trophy was lifted, but in the context of the entire season, it’s only the ‘we beat city’ cup.

Along with the CL, if we also got the 100+ points, I’d say we could be reasonably happy.

So... Liverpoolx2 and all the other CL games are the most important.
The United game is unbelievably (at the start of the season) not so much, barring bragging rights imho.

For me, definitely winning the CL tie against the Dippers is the priority.
If we could put one over on them at Anfield and have the tie in the bag, all the better.
but putting out a second team or even a few kids against the Rags would be a right slap in the face for them, regardless of what result they get from the game.
It really would tell them, 'you're insignificant to us'. We will win the league anyway and beating you is not a concern for us.

Having said that, a cherry on the cake would be our kids beating them with a 94th minute winner by Foden.

Then our first team takes liverpool apart on Tuesday.

For me, definitely winning the CL tie against the Dippers is the priority.
If we could put one over on them at Anfield and have the tie in the bag, all the better.
but putting out a second team or even a few kids against the Rags would be a right slap in the face for them, regardless of what result they get from the game.
It really would tell them, 'you're insignificant to us'. We will win the league anyway and beating you is not a concern for us.

Having said that, a cherry on the cake would be our kids beating them with a 94th minute winner by Foden.

Then our first team takes liverpool apart on Tuesday.

All very romantic - but it won't happen, if he makes too many changes we won't win the league this Saturday.
2/3 changes maybe but a whole team surely not??

Can see the points of view of those that are stating one or the other is the most important to be honest. I think Pep will be considering the mindset of the opposition as well. Will the scousers try and get the job done on Wed or keep it tight and go for it at our place. Will the scum be stoked up about us possibly winning it against them or will it be the bus parking routine. If it doesn't go to plan on Wed at least we get another bite of the cherry. One consideration is that if we don't beat utd it could be another couple of weeks before the title is won, so let's get that wrapped up asap.

Just looked at our starting 11 for the 4-1 defeat of Spurs: Ederson, Walker, Mangala, Otamendi, Delph, Fernandhino, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Sterling, Aguero, Sane.

I reckon 4 of that line up (Mangala, Delph, Gundogan & Aguero) will not start tomorrow. Possibly 5 if Pep decides to go with B Silva over Sterling.

So say Pep plays the following team against United: Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko (or Danilo) Fernandhino, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Sterling, Aguero, Sane. That would mean resting 4/5 players from tomorrow's likely starting line up.

Compared to the team that beat Spurs, it would mean Stones, Laporte and Zinchenko (or Danilo) replacing Mangala, Otamendi & Delph (I'm assuming Aguero is fit to start on Saturday but not Delph).

So we could rest 4/5 players from tomorrow's starting line up and still put out a team that is at least as strong as the one that convincingly beat Spurs.

Can see the points of view of those that are stating one or the other is the most important to be honest. I think Pep will be considering the mindset of the opposition as well. Will the scousers try and get the job done on Wed or keep it tight and go for it at our place. Will the scum be stoked up about us possibly winning it against them or will it be the bus parking routine. If it doesn't go to plan on Wed at least we get another bite of the cherry. One consideration is that if we don't beat utd it could be another couple of weeks before the title is won, so let's get that wrapped up asap.
I think it's pretty clear that mourinho will come and park the bus and klopp will really go for it and try to get the tie won tomorrow if they can.

I think it's pretty clear that mourinho will come and park the bus and klopp will really go for it and try to get the tie won tomorrow if they can.
Leaning that way myself. The good thing is I think that we are the only team in the country that if we're really on song the opposition can do little about it. Think Fat Sam alluded to this after Sat's game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.